Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meme's Idiot Guide to Building a Gaul Account

Default Meme's Idiot Guide to Building a Gaul Account

Background Spiel which can be ignored.

Having come back from retirement and ended up inadvertently leading a none pre-formed alliance again, I was looking on the Forum for a simple step by step to help some of the new players in my team. Looking at the third account with a 6-cropper spawn with Level 14 fields made me realise just how badly one was needed!

There are a few good start-up guides for raiders, but not a simple simmers guide for those players who want to build a decent account but dont have a huge amount of time or money to invest.

I was lucky enough this server to coax JPP out of retirement to dual with me. An ardent Gaul player like myself, JPP is also much more efficient and experienced than I am, so it was a pleasure to watch how quickly he had us sorted and settled to our second village.

Im going to pass on some of those techniques here in a day by day guide as I run through them myself. If anyone has any comments or suggestions to improve then please feel free to add them.

Once I was Mercy and before that I was Anonymous.
    It takes a very special kind of person to lose email addresses.
    For small mercies and mHudson, be grateful.

Default Day 1

Youve started your server and have selected Gaul Tribe.

Tutorial
    The first thing to do is work through the tutorial. Im not going through that, its self-explanatory, but if you want a list of the tasks click the spoiler tab. Dont forget to put hero resource production back from clay to evenly spread, that gets you an extra 32 resources per hour.

1. Clay pit level 1 reward instant build
    2. Woodcutter 1 reward instant build
    3. Woodcutter 2 reward instant build
    4. Wheatfield 1 reward instant build to level 2
    5. Hero resources to clay reward 200 clay
    6. Warehouse 1 reward 24 hours Travian Plus
    7. Rally Point reward 2 Gold
    8. Complete Construction - reward 10 Gold
    9. Hero adventure (tip pick the one furthest away) reward hero arrives instantly
    10. Read report reward 10 ointments
    11. Heal hero reward resources
    12. Use Interface Help reward resources

Tasks

Once the tutorial is complete, you have a set of tasks to work through and a hero on his way back from an adventure.

I would always complete the resources tasks first. This is where you will start to need a little patience as you wait for things to build. Go and make a cup of tea while you wait. This is how Im looking right now. Plenty of time for a brew!

The rest of the day should be spent completing tasks. It isnt that important what order you do them in, but I would always prioritise building resource fields for now. Just keep working through them, completing everything you can.

Most of the Tasks are straightforward and by the end of the day you should be well on your way through them. To get through the Trade Quest without having to trade, put something up for sale in your market place and cancel it. To complete the raid an oasis task, either send your hero to raid then cancel the attack within 15 seconds, or send him with cages once you have them.

Quests
    Meanwhile you can check on your daily quests. By midday on day 1, the maximum points you will be able to get is 38. I took my 50 hero experience and put it three points on resource production and one point on fighting strength to complete another task.

Adventures
    Your hero will probably be back now and ready to go off again, however, a word of caution. Check your resources. If you are almost full and your hero brings back more resources you could potentially overflow so it may be worth waiting until you are running low before you send him off again. If you want the reward without doing the adventure yet, send him off then cancel and bring him back within 15 seconds. You should be able to complete 5 adventures before the end of the day.

Gold
    At some point, you will need to decide if you are going to invest any money into your game. It is possible to play successfully without gold but it requires more time or a willingness to sell absolutely everything on the auctions (more about those later).
    I play with gold and it speeds the process up so will probably spend around 15 a month on it. This guide will include using gold. If you arent buying, you can still follow the process but it will take a bit longer.

End of day 1 and this is how its looking.

Tomorrow I will be working on maximising resources and culture points.
    Last edited by Mercedes; 19 Feb 2017 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Resizing pictures to fit more neatly

Default Day 2

Resources

My first priority today is to get all fields to Level 3. A couple of hours in and my account is looking like this.

Gold

You may notice a big increase in my gold balance. I will be using gold but will also explain what to do if you aren’t. For now, you may decide to spend 20 of your 30 free gold on extending the 25% extra production for resources. It will speed up your start game. Alternatively, you may decide to start to save up for Gold Club. I will be buying Gold Club today as I want to start and look for suitable 15-croppers. More about that later.

Culture Points (CPs)

Before I do any more building, I’m going to consider the impact every potential build has on culture points. I want to settle my second village as quickly as possible so maximising CPs is vital.

The tasks want me to take all my resource fields to 5, however, doing that will cost a lot of resources and gain me nothing extra in CPs. This is because the number of culture points for fields doesn’t increase until Level 6. Look at the table for an iron mine (the cost is slightly different for other resource fields but the effect on CPs is the same)

The calculations underneath show me that whilst it is slightly more expensive to take one field to Level 6 than four to Level 4 in terms of the resource income, it will get me a crucial extra CP a day, so for now I would push up one resource field of each kind to level 6 if I was keeping gold use to a minimum, but because I have the Level 2 Flour Mill from the Task list, I will concentrate on Wheat Fields.

Over the next few days, this will be my bible as I will be prioritising all buildings and upgrades according to how many CPs they give me.
    http://t4.answers.travian.co.uk/?vie...=102#go2answer

Alliances

Next I need to consider joining an alliance. This will give me strength in numbers, however a good alliance will also expect me to contribute back. If this is my first time playing, then looking for a strong alliance will mean that other, more experienced players will be on hand to give me advice and help me develop.
    To check out alliances around you, look in your embassy. I’m 30 days late starting this server, so the alliances are already well formed.

At first glance it would seem that Pack of Wolves is the strongest, but check out the total population against the number of villages. They appear to have more members but the population of each is smaller in comparison to Pandemic, which makes me think Pandemic has more experienced players.

It’s always worth trying to get in the best alliance first, and to join I will need an invitation. I can try to get one by applying to the alliance leaders, but whether they agree to take me will depend on what I can offer them.

As a brand new player, my most valuable assets would be enthusiasm and a willingness to learn and take advice. As a more experienced player it would be to offer the potential of a strong account that can help support the alliance to win the game. My preference from this list would be Pandemic, but I will write to the leaders of the first four and see what (if any) response I get. I can check to see if my messages have been read in my sent box.

At the moment, I can see they are still unopened, but I will check again through the day.

10am and I have had my first (very polite) knock back from Pack of Wolves, who told my that my village was in the wrong quad. Most alliances are quad based and will prioritise applications from players with the right set of coordinates, although they will sometimes consider you if you are right on a border like I am at (77/-6).

11:25am and my preferred alliance has also politely turned me down for lack of experience, but this one came with encouragement and a potential offer of advice. If you can start a conversation, do. It could well lead to an invitation at a later stage.

20:15pm and a third alliance has messaged back, again with a polite thanks but no thanks, but an offer to give advice and support to grow to the requirements to join in the future.

10:47pm and finally success when I get a lovely and encouraging reply offering me a place in a training wing for new players. Wonderful to know these still exist and I'm really heartened by all the offers of help and support I've been given.

If you keep getting rebuffed, don't despair. Keep trying. Eventually I decided to join up with lone player who was willing to send me an invitation to his alliance to get the Quest resources. (Thanks Trouble )
    Last edited by Mercedes; 20 Feb 2017 at 05:34 AM.

Default Day 3

Alliances again

Now I joined an alliance it's time to check it out.

The blue dots indicate that players are currently online. (Trouble is ALWAYS online )
    This can be really useful if you have attacks coming in and need to ask for help. If your alliance has several leaders, sending a message to the online leaders mean you will get a faster response.
    A green dot means that the player has been online in the last 24 hours, yellow that it has been more than 24 hours, red means more than three days, then eventually it turns to the grey dot of death.
    Some alliances will kick you out if your dot goes yellow more than once, most will kick you out if you go red. For this reason, it's often a good idea to have a sitter.

Sitters

You can have up to two sitters on your account and can sit up to two others. Most alliances like you to have sitters as long as they are from within the alliance, some will insist on it. Having a sitter from a different alliance is a definite no and can get you accused of spying (finding out information to send to an enemy alliance such as players online times and defence calls). A lot of players don't like having sitters as they could potentially carry out actions on your account that you don't want them to, but a good sitter can be a definite bonus and may even help your account to grow whilst you are offline.

External extras

Your alliance may ask you to join gettertools. This is an external website that tracks travian servers. It allows you to enter your troop numbers and alliance leaders use it to monitor their players, plan offensive action and organise defence. For now, it's worth having a look at your server to get an idea of the number of players and strength and position of alliances.
    Another external website used by a lot of experienced players is kirilloid. This website is more of a calculation tool and can help you plan building your account, army and travel times for attacks or defence.
    Your alliance may also expect you to use Skype to connect with your team players. A good alliance won't make it mandatory, but if you are able to use it then it can be a good way of communicating with other players.

Village Development

It's coming to the end of day 3 and my resource production is starting to look healthy. Because I chose to focus on wheat fields, I have had to use quite a lot of gold to "NPC", if you aren't using gold your resource production is likely to be spread more evenly across the different types of fields, with clay the more natural priority at this stage.

Inside the village is looking good too. At the moment I'm upgrading the granary. This isn't on the task list and isn't the best upgrade for CPs, but if I don't, my wheat production will fill it whilst I'm asleep and several hours of resource production will be wasted.

Play styles

Tomorrow I will need to consider what the focus of my account will be, whether I want it to be offensive, defensive or to build a World Wonder Killer. I'll consider the various options and advantages and disadvantages of each as whichever route I take will be fundamental in deciding where I want to settle my capital, the main wheat producing village to feed my army.

Default Day 4

Culture Points Again

As my account continues to grow, I need to keep maximising my CPs. At the moment, I am making 89 CPs a day. I will get 500 CPs for completing the Residence, but at this rate it will take me 7 days to build enough CPs to settle my next village which is far too long, so I need to increase this.

I have put together a basic spreadsheet to show which building upgrades will give me the cheapest CPs. (PM me for the full version, or even better, PM Bob Hawkins who has far more comprehensive versions)

I have highlighted in green the buildings that I have already built, and in pink those that I can build more than once. When I have built everything I need, including all resource fields to Level 6, I will fill every remaining build slot with Level 3 (upgrading to Level 7) crannies (Note that you need to complete one cranny to Level 10 before you can build more).

Play Styles

Tomorrow I will be looking for the 9 or 15 Cropper that will become my main capital and area for settling my villages. Before I can decide where to locate, I need to decide how I want to play and what my focus should be. There are three main categories, plus raiding accounts. Some players mix them up quite successfully, but that tends to require a very high level of activity.

1. Defence.
    This requires the least amount of activity, if you are prepared to allow active members in your alliance to sit your account. Good defence accounts are the backbone of any alliance and it is usually the best defence that will win a server.
    A defence account has the least need for a high producing wheat capital as defence is often fed for you in other accounts. However, the best defenders can feed their troops wherever they are located. The very best defenders can respond quickly at need with high level tournament squares and the ability to accurately snipe attacks. More on this later. Activity levels are low to high.

A defence account will need a capital situated in the heart of the alliance so that troops can be sent rapidly to any member needing them

2. Offence.
    This is generally a more active play style than defence as you are likely to be attacked more and must be more alert. Offensive players are generally, but not always, more active raiders. A good offensive account will ensure that the general area is cleared of threats and is also ready to respond to alliance offensive action. An offensive army doesn’t need to be big, though the bigger it is, the more likely it is to survive any defence it encounters. Activity levels are medium to high.

An offence account will need a capital that is fairly close to the centre so that it can quickly reach opponents, but will also need a high wheat producing capital.

3. World Wonder Killer.
    An account set up to build a World Wonder Killer is a one show wonder. Everything builds towards producing one, single hit, massively big army. Some players will bring them out to attack before endgame, but many prefer to build them in semi-secret and make them as big as possible. This type of account needs small but regular attention, unless you are going for a record breaking size, in which case you will also need to raid heavily to help feed your army. Activity levels are low to high.

A World Wonder Killer account is the most demanding in terms of wheat so needs a high producing 15-cropper capital. For a large, high activity account this will need to be in the centre and you will need to win the race to get the best cropper first. Lower activity accounts can successfully build a good army much further out and often work well in isolation.

Progress

At the end of Day 4, this is how my account is looking. Tomorrow I will be hunting for croppers and looking at the potential benefits and pitfalls of settling a second village (v2)

Last edited by Mercedes; 21 Feb 2017 at 11:06 PM.

Notes on culture points:

You have already built embassy level 1, academy 3, main building 3. When calculating culture points you want to investigate "how much it costs to get to the next CP"

Cranny 7 is not 2145 resources to get 4 culture/day. It is 1635 resources to get from level 3-7 for 2 culture (817 per CP). When you look at it like this, you see that Embassy 2 (685), Main Building 6 (650), Market 6 (765), Trapper (360), are all better investments in culture after cranny 3.

If you are careful this way you can also get a bunch of resources to level 7 (also worth 1 more CP) and settle a day earlier.
    Last edited by Cretin; 22 Feb 2017 at 01:29 AM.
    UK5,1 Annoying Gaul/CDT, UK5,2 Colt Seavers/Geoffles, Au1,3 Stringfellow/AoW, Au4,2 Spirit/KGB, TKCom2 Stringfellow/xTools, UK3,8 Spirit/Resurge, UK1,10 Tauriel/Havoc
    #9 crop UK T3 WWK, first in clubbies
    Your game don't scare me, I got hit by this

Hi Cretin, you are absolutely right. I tried looking at cost per level of increase in an additional column but after a discussion on Skype last night, wondered if it would be better to look at the total cost and in the end went for that.

I did get passed a far more comprehensive spreadsheet that calculates what you should build next for Culture Points depending on what level your existing buildings are at and it agrees with you that I should upgrade Trapper, Academy and Embassy next

I think the most important thing for new players to understand is just how important Culture Points are when you are starting up your account.

Default Day 5

Getting ready to settle

I’m reaching the point where I need to start to work out how long it will take me to be ready to settle my next village. I can work this out from the green bar in the top left hand corner.

To settle, I need 2000 CPs. I will get 500 for completing my residence and already have 959 so I need another 541. At my current rate of production, it will take just over 5 days.

I need to upgrade my Residence to Level 10. This will cost a total of 59030 resources. I then need to train three settlers. This will cost a total of 57000 resources. I am now producing a total of 1735 resources every hour from my fields, so it will take me 68 hours, or just under three days to make enough resources to complete these.

I need to increase my CPs even further. I will continue to build in my village to keep this increasing tomorrow, before starting to upgrade my residence.

Choosing a Capital

I need to find a good position to settle my capital. The easiest way to do this is to buy Gold Club and use the cropfinder tool in the map. Without this, I would have to spend hours searching by looking at each individual tile, so if you can, it’s worth the investment.

You can see the cropfinder tool at the top left of the map.

I can select whether I want to look for a 9 or 15-cropper and the percentage oasis bonus. I’ll look more at oases later. From this list I can see that all the best local croppers have been taken. If I take one too close to a rival player who is bigger than me or in an opposing alliance, I am likely to receive a lot of attacks.

Since =P= weren’t willing to take me in when I applied, settling right on top of their players is going to be a bad idea. Added to how late I started this server, I have decided to set this account up to build a World Wonder Killer and therefore am going to look for a 15-cropper with 150% bonus. This will mean settling quite a long way from my first (spawn) village which brings its own challenges. I won’t be able to easily feed it resources as my merchants will take too long to travel, also I won’t be able to raid to bring in extra resources. Additionally, I won’t be able to protect my spawn village, therefore will need to expect that I will lose it to another player in the future, probably through a chiefing. Balanced against the amount of time I have available to play and the disadvantages I am working against by not being in a strong alliance, these are going to be better options than the alternative of being constantly attacked.

When finally deciding on a place to settle, take a good look around the surrounding area.

I found a promising looking 15-cropper but on checking it out, noticed that a =P= player had already settled very close.

This may well be someone intending to settle that cropper who chose to pick a standard 4-4-4-6 (feeder) village first to build a range of resources before settling a cropper. Croppers will require a lot of gold to sim up the fields so settling a nearby feeder first is a good option if you aren’t able to spend that amount of money. Again, if I settle this cropper it could run me into trouble with a strong alliance so I need to look further.

As I am playing this real time and already know that I have a close competitor within a few squares, I will wait in until my settlers are launched before letting you all know where I am going

Beginners Protection (BP)

You may have noticed a countdown at the bottom left of the screen.

Whilst this is running other players are unable to attack you, but also you are unable to attack other players. As it runs towards it's close, you have the option to extend it. Whether or not you do depends on whether you want to raid. There are other guides that concentrate on a raiding start so I will be extending mine to protect me for as long as possible. If you don't extend it, you will need to look for ways of protecting any troops you have made and in particular, your settlers, whilst you are offline. If you have bought Gold Club, you can activate troop evasion in your rally point

This will make sure that your troops avoid any attacks that come in. If you don't have Gold Club then you will need to ensure that you watch your settlers like a hawk until you are able to send them off or send them away out of the village whilst you are off line. You can do this by sending them, with a few other troops as escort to protect them, to raid a small inactive village. Look for one out of BP and with a very small population (less than 50) on your map. Try to find one where the travel time there and back will coincide with when you are back online. Although this may seem a lot of effort, it will be worth it to avoid coming home to three dead settlers.

Progress so far

Here is how my village is looking at the end of Day 5.

Starting on day 1 on a really competitive server, I wouldn't be anywhere near the front runners, but for my activity level of a couple of hours in the evening and a couple of quick check ins during the day, I'm very happy with how it's progressing.

New Poster

Looking good.
    I look forward to seeing where you settle.

Default Day 6

CPs, CPs and more CPs

Today has been all about CPS again. With careful building, my account is now producing 139 CPs a day, and with only 423 needed, that means from now on I need to start building my Residence and settlers. I have effectively cut down my settling time from yesterday by one full day.

Here is how my village looks now.

The number of crannies looks alarming, but they are bringing in cheap CPs and can be taken down when needed. I have also built three wheat fields to Level 7, so my resource income is now a healthy 448/448/448/556.

For the next three days, I will be building up the residence to Level 10 and training three settlers.

The alternative build here, to settle at the same time is day 6 complete your level 7 clay wood and crop fields, this will move your production to 490/490/350/800. Your hero should also be about level 3 by now (4 if you have picked up scale armour and got some extra xp from hitting weak oases for experience, and make sure you never lose him!) with a full 12 points on resources (which is a further 72 of each per hour - total 562/562/422/872(minus 230 for buildings).

It will take 1 day to make level 7 fields, but will increase your resource production and CP, and this will mean your residence and settlers are made more quickly in the following 2 days.

To save here, I would make the following cost-savings, as the level 7 fields will cost a little more:
    drop academy from 8-5
    drop main building from 8-6
    increase market from 3-7

This will settle in about the same time, but you will have level 7 wood/clay rather than 6 and more markets to help build your new town
    UK5,1 Annoying Gaul/CDT, UK5,2 Colt Seavers/Geoffles, Au1,3 Stringfellow/AoW, Au4,2 Spirit/KGB, TKCom2 Stringfellow/xTools, UK3,8 Spirit/Resurge, UK1,10 Tauriel/Havoc

Default Day 7

Hi Cretin. That looks like an excellent alternative build to the one I suggested. I can definitely see the advantages of pushing up the fields and market place.

After the first few days, everything now is calming down as the only thing to do today is to upgrade the Residence. Once complete, I have just under two days to train my settlers before I will have enough CPs to settle. There are dangers here - whilst saving the resources to build my settlers, there is a real risk that my warehouse and granary could overflow overnight. I also have a hectic weekend planned, so this is where it could be really useful to have someone else to help out on the account.

Duals

If you have got as far as an alliance chat room, you may have heard people talking about duals. ( I also mentioned my dual in the blurb at the beginning of this guide).

A dual is another player on your account. You can have more than one person playing the account and it makes sense to find someone who is in a different time zone so that they are watching it while you are asleep. Some accounts on 3x speed sometimes have as many as five or six people playing them around the clock. You don't have to have a dual, and it is unlikely that on your first server you will, but as your gameplay progresses, you may find an experienced dual is a real benefit to your account. As Travian is a real time game, it also gives you both the opportunity to have a break.

Settlers

Once my Residence is complete, I will be using it to train the three settlers required to settle my next village. I can't train them yet, once the Residence is complete at Level 10, this page will change to allow me to train them.

This will take a couple of days, so this guide won't be updated now until they are ready to go.

New Poster

Have you trained or researched any troops yet or are you solidly building things?

Default Day 8

Settlers Away

A couple of days of doing nothing but building settlers and finally they are on their way to found a new village. I eventually made the decision to go for a World Wonder Killer account, so will go through the process of building up a cropper capital as well as setting up a village to build an army in, as part of this guide.

Although settlers are walking, I’m not guaranteed to be successful. Someone could still settle the spot I am after before my settlers get there, making my settlers “bounce”. If that happens, they come home and I will have to send them off somewhere else. I have sent my settlers to a 15-cropper tile to make into my capital. This will take quite a bit of gold as I will need to NPC to build fields fairly regularly. If you don't want to spend gold, you may decide to settle a "feeder" or standard 4-4-4-6 tile first. You will need a couple of these before you can go to your cropper if you are going down this route.

Beginners Protection

With my BP due to end about the same time as my settlers are due to arrive, I need to think about how I intend to deal with any incoming attacks. The main reason people will want to attack my village will be;

a) to raid resources.
    I can prevent this by ensuring that my crannies stay higher than my warehouse and granary. Because I built so many crannies to create CPs, anyone who sends troops to raid my resources will come away with nothing so will probably soon stop. As a gaul, I can also build traps. Whilst this won't deter raiders for long, it will make things more annoying and difficult for them. At the moment, I haven't built any traps, but they are a quick and easy to build as defence.

To free troops from traps, I can either let them go from my rally point and rebuild my traps, or my attackers will have to smash them out. If they do this, they will lose 25% of their trapped troops.

b) to get easy kills to level up a hero or build attack points.
    I can make sure this doesn't happen by not leaving small numbers troops at home to get attacked. I will use my spawn village to make defence troops in future but it will take a while before I have enough to mount a reasonable defence. For now, I can avoid them being killed by putting on auto dodge. If you don't have gold club, then it's a good idea to send them out on long raids while you are offline.
    Another good way to protect yourself is to build lots of scouts. Most players will scout you before attacking, to see what troops you have in your village. If you have as many or more scouts than they send, then they won't get a report and they are less likely to attack "blind". I've already researched scouts to get the reward for the researching troops task so will build some before I come out of BP. If you are really lucky, you may also bring some home from an adventure. Scouts are a very undervalued and underused troop. Make sure you put plenty in your villages. Gaul scouts (pathfinders) are made in the Stable. I've already got some building and will build more before I come out of BP.

c) to chief my village.
    This can't happen whilst my spawn is still my capital. I won't need to switch my capital (more on this later) until I am ready to push the fields in my cropper above level 10. Once I do, I need to be prepared for my spawn being chiefed, so will look at this is more detail later.
    Last edited by Mercedes; 26 Feb 2017 at 07:50 PM.

Default Day 10

Village 2

My second village was settled overnight so it’s time to start and build it up. As it’s a cropper, I want to get in the market before anything else as I will need to NPC wheat to other resources to be able to keep building it. Before I run out of the settling resources, I build the main building to 3, then granary, warehouse and marketplace. As soon as I can I will upgrade the granary.

Once I have done that it’s a case of building up the wheat fields. I usually wait until there is enough wheat in the granary to NPC into resources for three or four fields at a time. You will need to do a bit of maths to multiply up the cost of the fields.

This is how the village looks by the end of the first day.

Botters and attackers

Meanwhile, my first village is out of BP and the attacks have been rolling in. One sensible scouting showing my cranny level is above my warehouse level therefore no further attacks yet.
    http://travian-reports.net/us/report/452826e25ec

A series of pointless 2 mace raids from the same player at fairly regular intervals which keep coming despite them not getting anything suggests to me that this player may be using a bot so I will send a message to the MH to check it out. If he is farming from a farm list, then he is doing it very inefficiently.
    http://travian-reports.net/us/report/452820371cc

Thanks to this guy, my reports page is starting to look fairly busy - you can see how many dead raids he has sent already and there are two more on the way in.

And finally the one after kills, attacking for the sake of it and just because they can. They were in luck as I hadn’t checked that autodoge was on so also caught the huge numbers of troops sat there . A lot of fairly new players will waste troops like this early on because they haven't yet understood the long term nature of the game.
    http://travian-reports.net/us/report/452837d3cb3
    http://travian-reports.net/us/report/4528160d800

I’m at a real disadvantage here as I started this server 30 days in, so other players have had much more time to build up troops. With nothing to kill and no resources to steal there isn’t much point to attacking my village right now, but that won’t stop some people as you can see. What I could do is start to build up an army of phalanx so that I will have some defence for the future is catapult attacks start. To make sure they don’t get picked off again, I need to put on autododge!

Multihunter

The multihunter polices the server and checks for multi accounts - players trying to have more than one account at a time. They also check for other forms of cheating. If you suspect someone is breaking the rules, you can message the multihunter. A message to the multihunter will always show as unread so do't worry if it doesn't appear to have been opened.

The multihunter may ask you for more information, especially if you are complaining about IGMs you have received. If the multihunter finds evidence of cheating he/she can ban an account until the player can prove they haven't cheated, or accept a punishment. Some bans are permanent.
    Last edited by Mercedes; 28 Feb 2017 at 06:53 AM.

Default Day 12

Simming up a Cropper

The last couple of days, the entire focus has been on levelling up wheat fields in my cropper. This takes some Gold to NPC, so I wait until I have enough wheat to cover at least three fields at a time. I try to keep upgrading my granary and warehouse, so that my granary always hold around 3 times more than my warehouse and is large enough that it won't overflow whilst I am sleeping. This is how my cropper looks now, coming towards the end of day 12.

To help me decide the order of building, I can use this really useful table in kiriloid

From here, I can see I should have 2 Level 5 fields and all the rest at level 4 before I build the first level of the flour mil, so am slightly ahead of myself with my build. I need to build up all but two of my fields to Level 6 before I upgrade the Flour mill to level 2.

Trading

To try to lessen the need to NPC and reduce my gold, I can trade wheat in the market place for other resources.

You need to be a bit careful here. I can see in my market that buying resources other than wheat is going to cost me more. If you aren't happy with the rate you are getting (1:1 minimum) try putting your resources up for sale instead. It's almost certain that they will trade within 24 hours.

Over the next couple of weeks, everything will be about building up the wheat fields in my cropper. Pushing up resources in my spawn village to help feed this in future will also be a priority, and I also need to try to keep increasing my CPS as I need to build more villages to increase my resource production.

Default Day 15

By now, everything is starting to build up nicely. I am still following the guide from kirilloid for my cropper and have just about completed level 5 wheat fields. I could have built this up faster by using more resources from my spawn village, but I want to finish resource production in my spawn village first.

Factories

Once you get all the resource fields to Level 8, the next step is push one of each up to Level 10. You may notice on mine that the level 10 fields have a grey ring. This means I can't build them any higher at the moment, either because they are at their maximum level, or because you need to increase storage. In my case, I would need to increase the warehouse. I've kept the warehouse deliberately low so that it stays below my cranny level to deter farmers from raiding me. Although I could build fields above level 10 in my spawn village, I won't do that. You can only have fields above Level 10 in your capital. I intend to do this in my cropper to maximise wheat production.

Once you have one field at level 10, you can start building factories to increase your resource production. To make room for the factories, I have had to take down some of the lower level crannies.

Demolishing Buildings

You can demolish buildings you no longer want or need to make room for new ones in your main building (MB), but you must build your MB to level 10 first. You can either demolish them level by level, or if you are in a hurry you can demolish them entirely for 5 gold.

Troops

Probably the most surprising thing about my build so far is how few troops I have built. I will be building troops - lots and lots of them. However, troops at this stage won't serve much purpose other than to use up resources that I would rather spend on fields and factories. I can't build enough on my own to defend successfully against other players who started the server earlier than me, so at this stage it's better to dodge any incoming attacks.
    If I was raiding, I would be building Theutate Thunders in my village, but that requires a much higher level of activity than I can currently commit to. I'm not interested in attacking any of my neighbouring villages as that would probably only antagonise them, and for now I want to stay below the radar.

Once I am ready to settle village 3, my next decision will need to be over whether I want to build a capital or none-capital hammer, so I will look at the disadvantages and advantages of each once I get to that point.

Another option here is to level fields more evenly in the cropper and first (spawn) town. The higher your fields are the more they cost (!), but it is not linear. This means that lower fields give more return for their cost than higher fields.

e.g. level 1 fields payback their cost in 35 hours, level 2 in 69 hours, level 3 in 86 hours. What this means is that it is more cost effective to level your fields in your 2nd town at about the same level as your first town and this will help you grow faster. But do take note of the factory buildings that Mercedes advised about as they will give a good bonus.

Spending resources making a level 9 field at 210 hour return versus a level 6 field at 108 hour return - means that level 6 field has 2x the payback so sending resources to your second town is very worthwhile.

Default Week 4

As the server stretches out, I'm now looking at my progress in terms of weeks, rather than days.

This week I have finally reached the point where my resource production in my spawn village is high enough that I can consider taking an oasis and starting to party. I also brought back some Theutate Thunders from an adventure, so rather than them sitting at home eating wheat and getting fat, I want to look at getting them out raiding and bringing in extra resources. The quickest and most efficient way to do this is with a Farm List.

Oases

Taking an oasis will increase resource production. The resource it increases will depend upon the oasis. There is a guide to different types of oases here:
    http://forum.travian.co.uk/showthread.php?t=59208
    Although it was written under an older version of the game, it is still relevant to this version.

To claim an oasis you need a Hero's Mansion at Level 10. This is quite expensive which is why I have waited until now to build it. Once built, I can look to see which Oases are available in my area. They must be within my 7x7 for me to be able to claim them.

Inside my Hero's Mansion I can see that one possible 50% wheat oasis has already been taken. Wheat oases will always be the most desired oases. I am going to take the nearest oasis that gives me a double bonus, 25% wood and 25% wheat. I've picked this particular oasis as it has already been cleared of animals. If it hadn't, I would have to clear it myself. The easiest way to do this if you don't have many offensive troops is to use cages, then kill off any few remaining animals with your hero.

Once clear of animals, all you need to do is raid with your hero. Instant resource increase!

However, now I have claimed the oasis I need to be careful as other players can raid it to steal resources from my village. An oasis can be used to plunder up to 10% of available resources. A scouting shows how much I could potentially lose

http://travian-reports.net/us/report/460147e285a

This player decided he would try to see if he could steal some resources and shortly after sent a raid.

http://travian-reports.net/us/report/46014872000

I had two options for this raid, defend or dodge. Defending oases is never a great idea, there is no wall and no natural defences so is only something you should do if you are wanting to stop someone stealing it from you. Dodging (i.e. spending down resources so none can be stolen and making sure all troops are out of the way) is a much better option than defending for raids like this.

Now I own the oasis, it can still be stolen from me. If another player within range who also had a high enough Level Hero's Mansion wanted it, he would need to attack with his hero. Repeatedly attacking lowers the loyalty until the oasis switches to them.

This is a report from an other server which shows how easy it is to kill defending troops in an oasis and to steal it
    http://travian-reports.net/us/report/460159be00c

Occasionally, if you decided you picked the wrong oasis, or if you are under heavy attack and unable to protect everything, you may want to relinquish an oasis. You can do this in your Hero's Mansion by pressing the red cross.

Default Week 4 (cont)

Parties

Now I have my second village, I can't stop thinking about how to increase my CPs so that I can settle more villages and build up my account. The more villages I have, the more resource production I will make, the more troops I can build.

As my resource production in my spawn is now nearly at maximum, I need to think about increasing CPs by running parties. To do this, I need a City Hall.

Parties seem expensive, especially at the beginning, but it's important to run as many as you can afford. I haven't quite got enough resources yet, but will run one as soon as I do. CPs are awarded as soon as the party starts. The higher the level of your City Hall, the quicker the party will complete.

Parties give you the same number of CPs as your village is currently producing. I really need to start to upgrade buildings now my fields are done to get some quick increases in CPs. The maximum number of CPs you can get is 500. However, as your account grows and resource production increases, you can build your City Hall to Level 10 and runs Grand Balls. These produce the same number of CPs as all your combined villages produce per day, up to a maximum of 2000 CPs but take longer to run. They also make it harder for attackers to chief your village by reducing the amount that loyalty is lowered when attacked with chiefs.
    Last edited by Mercedes; 18 Mar 2017 at 06:39 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast