Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Meme's Idiot Guide to Building a Gaul Account

Default Week 4 (cont)

Farm Lists

To create a Farm List, you need to have purchased Gold Club. You will find the option to create a farm list in your Rally Point. I'm going to show you how to build a safe starter farm list of inactive villages. Once you made your farm list, you can use the rally point option to check or edit it. For convenience, the farm list is one of the first links I put at the side of my page, together with links to gettertools inactive page and kiriloid.

To start your farm list, you need to be in gettertools, on the correct server and the page that searches for inactives.

https://www.gettertools.com/en/42-Search-inactives

Select your starting village and how far away you want to search. You also have the option to set the travel speed.

Click search and you will get a list of all the inactive villages within the range you set. If you hover over each one, you get the option to open in Travian.

Click on this which will take you directly to the village in the map.

Clicking on the village, you will see the option to add this to your farm list. You will also be able to see if anyone else in your alliance has been raiding it.

The number of troops you choose to send will depend on the size of the village. For a starting farm list, I wouldn't add anything with a population much over 100. These slightly larger villages may have troops in so will need scouting and possibly clearing first. Sending lots of small raids to very low pop villages is safer for now, so I am just going to add these with a couple of Theutate Thunders to each.

Work through each of the inactives in the Gettertools list until you have built up your list. Now all you need to do is select them all by clicking the bottom box, then start raid and all your raids will go out at once.

Last edited by Mercedes; 12 Mar 2017 at 08:27 AM.
    Once I was Mercy and before that I was Anonymous.
    It takes a very special kind of person to lose email addresses.
    For small mercies and mHudson, be grateful.

Oops, learned something new today :o
    Last edited by Cretin; 12 Mar 2017 at 05:22 AM.
    UK5,1 Annoying Gaul/CDT, UK5,2 Colt Seavers/Geoffles, Au1,3 Stringfellow/AoW, Au4,2 Spirit/KGB, TKCom2 Stringfellow/xTools, UK3,8 Spirit/Resurge, UK1,10 Tauriel/Havoc
    #9 crop UK T3 WWK, first in clubbies
    Your game don't scare me, I got hit by this

Mrs. Fantastic

Prolific MemberProlific MemberProlific MemberProlific MemberProlific Member Ryder's Avatar

Occupied oasis are not treated as 500 pop - oasis with nature in are counted as 500 pop for sims only
    Server 2, Round 4
    Server 3, Round 8
    Server 5, Round 8

Current Server;
    Uk2, Round 10 - IGN;Tendril Man

New Poster

The grand ball produces as much as all of your villages combined up to a maximum of 2000.

Guide amended, thank you for the clarification. Good to know someone is actually reading all this!

Default Week 5

Simming up a Cropper

If you read all this so far, you will remember that the second village I settled was a 15 cropper with 3 50% oases. The last couple of weeks, I have been pushing resources from my spawn village and npc'ing to build u the wheat fields, following the order of building here
    http://travian.kirilloid.ru/villages...10,10,10&fs=31

This is how my village looks now.

I've now reached the point where I need to switch my capital from y spawn village to my cropper. This is a pivotal and dangerous moment in the game as it leaves my beautifully developed spawn village open to chiefings. This is fine if you are well within an alliance stronghold, but for me, I need to accept that I will probably lose it. I will write about how to take action against chiefing attacks in a couple of weeks.

To change my cropper to my capital, I need to demolish the residence and build a palace. I can then go in the palace and opt to make this village my capital. This is not something a sitter can do and requires you to input your password. There are very rare strategic reasons for switching your capital again so you are unlikely to do this more than once.

I can now build wheat fields to higher than level 10. To support an army capable of damaging a World Wonder at the end of the game, I need to try to get them to at least 17, preferable 18. Any higher than that and the cost of upgrading them becomes less than the benefit in resources that you are likely to receive. There have been guides written on this, so if it is something that interests you it is worth researching further.

Capital and None Capital Armies

4 weeks in to my server and I am still not building any significant troops, other than phalanx in my spawn to defend against possible raids. This probably seems insane to a lot of newer players but building and using troops at this stage will slow down my development so I am biding my time.

My third village is building fast and as soon as resource production there is complete I need to decide whether I want to build a capital or none capital hammer. (An offensive army is a hammer, a defensive hammer is an anvil).

Capital Army

The main advantage of a capital army is auto dodge. This means that attacks can't kill your army whilst you are offline. This is particularly important if you are building near the centre of the map or in the middle of enemies. The drawback is that you cannot build a Great Barracks or Great Stable in your capital which limits the size of your hammer. It is easier to maintain and build, easier to feed whilst it is walking and is generally the best option for a beginner or someone who has only a couple of hours a day to commit to playing.

None Capital Army
    There is one big advantage to a none capital army, which is that you can use a Great Barracks and Great stable so can build twice as many troops, as long as your account produces enough resources. Troops cost 3x as much in these so cthey can only be used once you have good resource production.
    The disadvantages to a none capital army are that you will have to store it in your capital and will need to move wheat over to feed it when it is being used. This can be a big commitment when you get to the stage where it is eating 100k or more wheat per hour. It will not autodoge so could get killed at home while you are offline. It could also be chiefed. I will write more about chiefing next week, but basically if your hammer village is chiefed, you lose your entire army.

I still haven't made a final decision about which to go for. Advice please?

Instead of building a residence to expand from, just build the Palace, no need to change caps until you're ready to and don't forget it's a criteria to build a level one Embassy nothing of importance, just needs to be done.
    At the end of every black hole is a man with torch

You need to change capital to the 15c to make level 11 fields
    UK5,1 Annoying Gaul/CDT, UK5,2 Colt Seavers/Geoffles, Au1,3 Stringfellow/AoW, Au4,2 Spirit/KGB, TKCom2 Stringfellow/xTools, UK3,8 Spirit/Resurge, UK1,10 Tauriel/Havoc

Mrs. Fantastic

Prolific MemberProlific MemberProlific MemberProlific MemberProlific Member Ryder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eurypedes View Post
    Instead of building a residence to expand from, just build the Palace, no need to change caps until you're ready to and don't forget it's a criteria to build a level one Embassy nothing of importance, just needs to be done.
    Residence to lv10 is cheaper than palace lv10, therefore some prefer to go residence route for speed and cost.
    Server 2, Round 4
    Server 3, Round 8
    Server 5, Round 8

Current Server;
    Uk2, Round 10 - IGN;Tendril Man

Quote Originally Posted by Ryder View Post
    Residence to lv10 is cheaper than palace lv10, therefore some prefer to go residence route for speed and cost.
    I would argue that that building a level 10 residence then replacing it with a Palace nullifies the resource cost of building a palace in the first place, and Speed/cost are minimal between the two. Obviously Meme had already made the decision to Cap that Cropper... just seems the most efficient option to me.
    At the end of every black hole is a man with torch

You make a level 1 palace, change to capital, demolish it, then make the residence to 10. This is the cheaper way to go though it means you need to take the risk of changing capital a lot earlier.

I've done it that way before, but with the spawn village surrounded by potential chiefs it wasn't the best option for this game. I needed to use minimum resources to get the next village so the Residence was much cheaper, then switched capitals as late as possible.

Watch this space in the next couple of weeks for reports on my spawn being chiefed and how to defend. I will be looking at cutting waves, tablets and residence cuts.

Default Defence against Chiefing

One way to extend your account quickly is to chief established villages. There are other guides that tell you how to effectively chief a village. What I will be looking at today is how to defend.

Because my spawn village is quite a distance from where I have settled my capital, I was expecting that at some point it would probably get chiefed.

This morning I woke up to three incoming attacks from the same player, so it looks like that time has come.

The first thing to do is not to panic. There are several things you can do to make it really hard for anyone to chief you.

1. Tablets.
    Make sure the loyalty of your village is as high as possible. Now is the time to use up all those tablets your hero has been bringing home from adventures. You can push your village loyalty up to a maximum of 125.
    Unfortunately, my hero is over in my capital and isn't going to be able to make it back in time. If he was in the village being chiefed, I could also use tablets in between waves to push the loyalty back up as long as I don't let my hero get killed by attacking troops.

2. Wave splitting.
    My attacker has been kind and left me big gaps between the attacking waves. It is likely that the bulk of his troops will be in the first attack so I am going to dodge that one entirely to ensure my few defence troops don't get killed.

The easiest way to split waves is to send defence from a different village to land after the first wave but before the second. If there is only a one second gap between the waves, then you need to time it to land the same second that the first attack arrives. Travian actions things that happen the same second in the order they were done. Because the attack was sent first, then your defence, the attack will land first, meaning your defence will land straight after before the next wave hits. I can't use defence from another village, but I can use what I have in my village. This is going to be really tricky, as it means I will need to send it out before the first wave and recall it to arrive before the next. I don't have a village nearby of my own to send my troops to reinforce, so my nearest neighbour is going to get a surprise, but short, reinforcement so that I can recall troops at the right time. If you are using this tactic, you need to make sure you keep your timings really tight as my neighbour could be online and take offence at being used and send my troops back to me at the wrong time.

One thing to take real care of is any lag in the time it takes for your instructions to be actioned. I found out too late that I have a 1 second lag, so if my attacker had only left a second gap then I would be in trouble, I needed my reinforcements to land a second earlier.

3. Residence Cut
    This is probably the least known method of defending against a chiefing but is very effective. My first step was to completely demolish my Level 20 Residence, then quickly rebuild it back to level 1. This will get destroyed in the first attacking wave. I now need to queue the build to Level 2, but time it to finish building between the first and second wave. Most attacks will not send catapults in subsequent waves, so by doing this, when their next wave lands there will be a residence back in place and their chief will be unable to lower the loyalty. This can be done when there is just a one second gap, but this time you need it to complete building at the same time as the second wave. Travian completes buildings first and attacks second, so your residence will complete then the second attack hit on the same second. I need the Residence to complete building at 7:55:03. It takes 29:20 to complete level 2, so a bit of maths tells me that I need to press the upgrade button at 7:25:43. Being an idiot, I got distracted so mine is a little late, but fortunately I have a bigger than 1 second gap to cut. In the image you can see the residence build countdown and attack countdown so hopefully get the idea.

I've kept this fairly simple, but if you are interested there is a more comprehensive guide on defending against chiefings here.
    http://forum.travian.co.uk/showthread.php?t=60606

First attack hits and the residence is destroyed. (This is a set up chiefing if anyone hadn't realised, in a real situation I should have spent down all resources. Many thanks to Bezen for helping with this)

And here is the effect of my residence cut

Last edited by Mercedes; 01 Apr 2017 at 07:10 AM.

I'll be posting the last update for this in a few days, then am happy to pass the account on if anyone wants it or delete it.

Default The Importance of your Cropper

So my last post is just to demonstrate the importance of building up your cropper. Mine has now reached the stage where all the fields are Level 14 and I have taken three 50% wheat oases. Wheat production is now nearing 50k an hour. If I were going to continue, now is the time I would start to queue siege (either Catapults or Rams) depending on which my hammer was focussing on. Whilst doing that, I would continue to build capital wheat fields to 18 to produce around 130k wheat per hour. This wouldn't feed a really big hammer, but would go a long way towards it. As I extend my villages I would look for more nearby 15c and 9c villages to supplement wheat supplies.

So that's it really, my guide to starting off a basic Gaul account. Hope you found it helpful

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyGuy88 View Post
    Have you trained or researched any troops yet or are you solidly building things?

Im so sorry, I only just saw this now . No, I won't train any troops until wheat fields are at least 14, then will start on siege.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12