Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Valentines Feedback

Community Manager UK/US CM mhudson's Avatar

Default Valentines Feedback

Hey folks

So after every event we now have to send a report to HQ to tell them how our event went, how many people participated, the community mood and to justify the amount of gold give.

If you have any thoughts on the valentines event (positive or negative) please leave it here or send me a pm.

We want to hold more events and competitions so your feedback will help shape the look of future events

Thanks in advance
    CM mhudson
    Community Manager
    Travian: Legends US/UK

128-10-93-85-10-128-98-112-6-6-25-126-39-1-68-78

The messages were fun, but only if you already know other forum members well enough to know they will take it in the right spirit and might be a bit depressing if you didn't get any.

The Poetry was cringeworthy because Razor made me enter so he wouldn't be on his own. Personally I found that a bit embarrassing but then I'm not a poetry kind of person. Also I think the judging should have been a forum poll so members could vote rather than the forum Mods who might be swayed by their own personal likes and dislikes.

The love hearts caused a lot of hilarity in Skype but the best ones weren't appropriate for the forum in my opinion.

Cupids arrow maybe would have been more fun if you had to do something more to win than just put in your IGN, also some players are reluctant to associate forum accounts with travian accounts.

I think it's great that you are doing this and the link on the game world is bringing players in, just need to get more using the server forums now

Just one more thing, talking about it in Skype this morning at least two regular forum users said they closed it without reading it, one because it was about valentines and two because they didn't realise they could win gold. Maybe the gold needs to be more heavily advertised to get people in?
    Last edited by Mercedes; 16 Feb 2017 at 10:45 AM.
    Once I was Mercy and before that I was Anonymous.
    It takes a very special kind of person to lose email addresses.
    For small mercies and mHudson, be grateful.

I liked the Cupid messages, untill I realised that you could read them Hudson I didn't really use them for any Valentine themed messages, just had fun sending out a couple of messages to friends of mine.

And can't really say anything about the other events, since I didn't participate in any of them...I didn't participate cause I dont play on the UK domain and the events this time wasn't my cup of tea + I didnt like how the the judges had all of the "tools" this time, maybe get the community to vote for their favourite poem or whatever the event/competition is next time?

But I like that you are actually trying to get more people to join the forum, and the different competitions were some what easy to enter this time so everybody could join them if they wanted to. Keep up the good work!
    Last edited by LemonD; 16 Feb 2017 at 09:10 AM.

Gotta' be sneaky... Well-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known Member Jakeyyy's Avatar

Valentine's Day event was meh.

Bring back WvV part of the forum instead.
    When you play the game of travian, you either win or you die.

Senior Teuton MemberSenior Teuton MemberSenior Teuton Member Elisa's Avatar

I thought Cupid's messaging was great, something a bit different and fun I'm really keen to see what kind of similar stuff is in the works.

Good to see some comps that are easy to enter, people have noted in the past that complicated entries have put them off so simple seems to work well. Nice that we have multiple winners too, please thank HQ for allocating more gold than they did in the past, it's appreciated.

Incidentally, I didn't get a vote on any of the competitions even as SMOD, voting ended up being done by the HQ staff, so I think it's pretty unlikely there was any personal favouritism involved.

Are you a SMOD Elisa? I hadn't noticed. Congratulations.

i think the point was more that it would be nice in a creative competition to have a poll so that forum users could vote rather than a panel of judges who just pick a winner without giving any reasoning. I wasn't suggesting that anyone would be showing favouritism, more that the judges' own personal taste would swing a decision. Perhaps HQ could give some feedback on why they particularly liked the winning piece and some supportive comments on other entrants who took time and trouble to put pen to paper? Just a thought that might encourage more participation in the future.

Nice to see that HQ are giving gold now though, these competitions always used to be funded by the MODs donating their free gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercedes View Post
    Are you a SMOD Elisa? I hadn't noticed. Congratulations.

i think the point was more that it would be nice in a creative competition to have a poll so that forum users could vote rather than a panel of judges who just pick a winner without giving any reasoning. I wasn't suggesting that anyone would be showing favouritism, more that the judges own personal taste would swing a decision. Perhaps HQ could give some feedback on why the particularly liked the winning piece and some supportive comments on other entrants who took time and trouble to put pen to paper? Just a thought that might encourage more participation in the future.

Nice to see that HQ are giving gold now though, these competitions always used to be funded by the MODs donating their free gold.

To answer your questions. The gold comes from me as Community Manager (although technically since i work for TG you could refer to me as HQ i guess), Munich HQ staff are not involved in anyway in awarding gold for these competitions.
    The Hearts competition was a suggestion from the HQ marketing team but the decision to give gold and how much is down to the domain CM. The other competitions were my creation.

On this occasion prizes were awarded by means of random number generator to select a post, previous competitions have been done via public poll and will no doubt be done so again in the future.

Following the general competition guidance:
    In competitions where the participants personally post, give an name or game details - prizes will generally be drawn by random number to select the post. (google random number tool).
    For competitions where the entries are made anonymously IE emailed or sent to a moderator to post on the users behalf the winners are generally selected by a public poll. This is avoid public favoritism in voting for a friends entry.
    CM mhudson
    Community Manager

Jam Jam ♥ Cait Teuton MemberTeuton Member Razorwind's Avatar

so the poetry was determined by a RNG?

Yes because I liked all the entries for different reasons so it was fairer to use RNG (and avoids bias on my part also)
    CM mhudson
    Community Manager

Jam Jam ♥ Cait Teuton MemberTeuton Member Razorwind's Avatar

...id prefer biased instead of RNG tbh, it kind of defeats the purpose of putting in effort if its gonna be randomly selected winner .
    Writing poetry in english is not the most simple thing for me considering its my third language so i put in some time and effort writing it, so having the winner being picked at random kind of makes me feel my effort was pointless...

Thank you for the clarification, but can I just double clarify. You ran some lovely competitions and asked for feedback which is being given as requested. But am I right in reading that you ran a creative competition but picked a winner by random number generator? That doesn't really inspire people to make an effort.

Just my personal opinion but if you run a competition that requires people to put in some level of effort and put something out there to be judged then at least a thank you for their participation rather than being told that they didn't win because their random number didn't come up? And what does that say to the winner? Thanks for your time and effort but you won because your number happened to be picked, not because we thought yours was the best. Please tell me this isn't the case and I am reading your response incorrectly.

i hope also that you will take this as positive criticism in the way it is intended as the replies back from you and SMOD Elisa seem very defensive. You asked for feedback and I am trying to provide that constructively.

Quote Originally Posted by CM mhudson View Post
    Yes because I liked all the entries for different reasons so it was fairer to use RNG (and avoids bias on my part also)
    The Senior Crew: CM, CSR, HMH, SMOD will select the winner based on the post they like the best.
    Ehm...Something doesn't seem right to me? 🤔

Senior Teuton MemberSenior Teuton MemberSenior Teuton Member Elisa's Avatar

It certainly wasn't my intention to seem defensive, but I was replying to what I saw as an accusation of favouritism by staff. Obviously people have to take my word for it, but I work pretty hard to treat people equally in here. Probably to a fault because to be candid I had looked at them all and I had not been able to choose a favourite myself. They were all good. Just food for thought.

It's a bit difficult to please everyone, as you can see some prefer comps to have effort involved while we get others who decline to enter with the reason of "it's too much effort". So we do appreciate it when people enter and when they give feedback on things either way.

We hope with the comps, to get people involved in the forums, perhaps peek into areas they don't normally look in, chat a bit and get to know some of the other people in the community. We do have several other long-running forum games going which aren't terribly difficult to enter - not gold rewarded of course - but they might also appeal to those who are interested in a bit of fun which doesn't run to a timetable.

So in other words what you would really like to say (but seem unable to) is thank you everyone for your participation. Your feedback is valued and all comments will be taken on board and fed back to HQ where appropriate.

We really loved all your poems, they were great (no need for a sarcastic or condescending comment here) and we apologise if you feel that your contribution was in any way less valued because of the way we chose to award the prizes on this occasion. In future we will be considering some of the excellent ideas you have all put forward and look for a way to ensure that all competition participants know that we value your contributions, as it's clear from reading and considering your feedback that we failed to do that this time.

Please take a look at our games section where we have a number of other competitions that we welcome your participation in. (Link here)

You may also want at some point to issue an apology for why the very popular WvV section was taken down without explanation or warning, antagonising a large number of forum users, with a full explanation of why that happened and confirmation of when it will be back.

Just some food for thought. See how sarcastic and condescending I can be too?

just a final thought - you have a number of articulate and active posters on this forum which is a really good thing. You should be looking for ways to get them onside, not antagonising them.
    Last edited by Mercedes; 16 Feb 2017 at 06:10 PM.

It seems that the general thought is that having the mods etc. decide who wins isn’t ok, coz they’re biased. I think most of us are, when we know who wrote something. People put effort in writing something. Picking a winner by taking a number from a top hat isn’t a compliment to anyone who participated.

You can only be an objective, neutral judge if all entries are put on the forum without a name. That is the only way to make it as objective as possible. I would suggest that next time, who ever runs the competition uses copy/paste and put the entry on the forum without the name of the person who wrote it. Give each entry a number and let readers decide what their top 3 will be. Put it in an excel sheet and work out who’s the overall no. 1, 2 and 3.
    Last edited by Killjerry; 16 Feb 2017 at 06:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercedes View Post
    So in other words what you would really like to say (but seem unable to) is thank you everyone for your participation. Your feedback is valued and all comments will be taken on board and fed back to HQ where appropriate.
    Thats my line, but please excuse me if I wait a few more days before saying it.

Feedback is a wonderful thing both the positive and the constructive criticism, however, sometimes the vocal minority drown out the silent majority.

We should all be mindful of others and bare in mind that sometimes being too vocal could result in a unintentional low pass filter being applied by others when reading forum posts.

I would love to get a broad range of feedback from all corners of the forum before closing this thread.

If you know of anyone else that might have thoughts on either the valentines event or competitions in general that perhaps is reluctant to post, please do get them to contribute here.
    Last edited by CM mhudson; 16 Feb 2017 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Dyslexia can be a pain sometimes.
    CM mhudson
    Community Manager

they call me superman
    i'm here to rescue you

These things take a lot of time to set up, so well done for that (seems sarcastic when written out, but isn't meant as that). I discovered it too late to participate. Echoing the involvement bit, voting is an easy way to involve the not so creative.
    GTB - Eeyore, Arwen&Elrond, Rotta The Hutt, Tussi | City something - Eddard Stark| UV - New Deli, Bane| - All on ukx.
    Now playing on Maida in T-rex.

Quote Originally Posted by Elisa View Post
    It certainly wasn't my intention to seem defensive, but I was replying to what I saw as an accusation of favouritism by staff. Obviously people have to take my word for it, but I work pretty hard to treat people equally in here. Probably to a fault because to be candid I had looked at them all and I had not been able to choose a favourite myself. They were all good. Just food for thought.
    So let's set up an example here for you Elisa

Let's say you would have to pick a winner, and only 2 people had entered.

I had entered with a really good poem and your friend "A" had entered with a really bad one. You would have picked A without a doubt. I know you Elisa, you are biased as hell.

And is it possible that you can use your mod account when you want to post something about being a mod? Just so newcomers to the forum know that you are indeed a mod, thanks in advance
    Last edited by CM mhudson; 16 Feb 2017 at 07:10 PM. Reason: 2.2.H

Feedback is a wonderful thing both the positive and the constructive criticism, however, sometimes the vocal minority drown out the silent majority.
    Quite often the vocal minority are stating what the silent majority want to but don't have the confidence.

If you want the vocal minority to be quiet there are ways of achieving that without publicly insulting them. A private message saying how you understand their view points and will be taking action on them can be very effective, just as an example.

You asked for feedback. You got it. It's up to you how you deal with it but if you and Elisa could both stop patronising me I would really appreciate it.

I already gave some feedback from other people and have encouraged a lot to give feedback here. But when feedback is clearly not listened to and only excuses and defensive positions taken by the MODS in one case not even using their MOD account, then you can't blame people for not bothering to post.

Or we could do like the Uk6 server forum and just let it die a quiet death.

Believe it or not, I am actually trying to help because I care about the forum and want to see it succeed.

Valentines poems - Some great efforts there. A bit of a shame to pick randomly when some players had obviously put a lot of time into it

Travian Valentine's Hearts - Some hilarious entries, best part of the competitions

Cupid's Arrow - Easy to enter, but a little bit pointless. Still, if it gets people posting...

Some nice ideas and a welcome addition to peoples efforts of trying to get the forum up and running again. I like the link on peoples Travian page, good idea but mentioning the prize of free gold would be a positive move.

Keep it up please,

Lag
    Iím not good-looking. I used to be but not anymore. Not like Robert Taylor. What I have got is I have character in my face. Itís taken an awful lot of late nights and drinking to put it there. When I go to work in a picture, I say, ĎDonít take the lines out of my face. Leave them there'
    - Humphrey Bogart

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast