Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on 'spiking' farms.

Default Opinions on 'spiking' farms.

I've recently noted more and more farms being 'spiked' (on UK2). Having asked my alliance (and getting various responses) I thought I'd pass this question on to the larger community.

I'd personally put spiking in the same aisle as deffing chiefed vills instantly (etiquette wise, etc.). So, what is the general consensus on this matter?
    S1 - Chronos http://travian-reports.net/us/report/4025038ccb4
    IRL - Leonardo DiCaprio

Senior Teuton MemberSenior Teuton MemberSenior Teuton Member Elisa's Avatar

How about... nobody likes it when they run into a spiked farm, and the person spiking it enjoys it very much.

Easy XP for a hero, but very likely to kill fellow alliance players troops. I guess it comes down to what kind of team player you are.

Killing anyone else's troops (not in your alliance) is fair game - it annoys the raiders, and trying to work out who is the culprit gives us all something to do whilst simming!

Lag
    I’m not good-looking. I used to be but not anymore. Not like Robert Taylor. What I have got is I have character in my face. It’s taken an awful lot of late nights and drinking to put it there. When I go to work in a picture, I say, ‘Don’t take the lines out of my face. Leave them there'
    - Humphrey Bogart

In warfare terms,its like a sniper taking out enemy troops at his ease,and then moving to another strategic position and repeating the dose.

I tried it on UK2 for a while, ( mainly for research and intelligence purposes ), and the Hero EXP that I got was awesome.

On UK2, I bet that its the same player that is doing all the sniping,and is probably in the top 10 Heroes.

i think it goes against the ethics of the game but, at the end of the day whether we like it or not it is a legitimate tactic otherwise there woudl be rules against it..........

its not really like a sniper taking out troops though is it, its more like having a hidden gun to get everyone as they go scrumping after doing their research and confirming that the owner of the orchard hasnt been back in years

Its a cruel blow to Romans and Gauls when they raid a spiked village with E.I.'S or T.T.'s

Personally, I think it's the lowest thing that anyone can do.
    It's like going to the bank to draw some money out, only to find a thug hiding behind the door ready to mug you.
    Just my opinion.

Travian is a war game, full of anarchy, and the principle of any war is to destroy enemy troops,in every possible way.

To compare spiking villages in a war zone, to withdrawing money from a bank and being mugged as you left the bank, is a bit far fetched.

If there were banks in the game, instead of oasis, they would be robbed too :yarr:

Quote Originally Posted by Delicious View Post
    Travian is a war game, full of anarchy, and the principle of any war is to destroy enemy troops,in every possible way.

To compare spiking villages in a war zone, to withdrawing money from a bank and being mugged as you left the bank, is a bit far fetched.

If there were banks in the game, instead of oasis, they would be robbed too :yarr:
    Even war still has rules though, both actual and moral

Each to their own views and interpretations.
    Diplomacy also plays a big part.
    As I said, "Just my opinion" in response to the OP:

Quote Originally Posted by Table View Post
    I've recently noted more and more farms being 'spiked' (on UK2). Having asked my alliance (and getting various responses) I thought I'd pass this question on to the larger community.

I'd personally put spiking in the same aisle as deffing chiefed vills instantly (etiquette wise, etc.). So, what is the general consensus on this matter?

Where is the diplomacy when a player with 6 villages zero pops a player with 1 villages ?

How low is that.

Quote Originally Posted by Delicious View Post
    Where is the diplomacy when a player with 6 villages zero pops a player with 1 villages ?

How low is that.
    Couldn't agree more, never have done it, nor will do.
    These kind of tactics are underhand, but as everybody seems keen to point out, this is a war game, and there are some out there that have no regard for smaller players (they forget they were smaller players once).
    I am referring to where an inactive village is being spiked by some players (obviously the same ilk that would do as you have pointed out).
    If a single-village player messages (diplomatically/respectfully) an attacker/raider, then that should bring a halt (even if it's only temporary) to hostilities.

If you are a farm spiker then my personal opinion is you should be hung, drawn and quartered. Though I have been know to over react.

At the very least players who do this should do it outside of their quad so they don't kill the small of defence troops that players on their OWN TEAM are using to farm in hope of keeping up with the offensive players.
    THE
    NOTORIOUS
    CRUNCHIE

Quote Originally Posted by Obelix View Post
    Even war still has rules though, both actual and moral
    I'd agree with this for the most part, though history has shown us that morals can be thrown out the window when it comes to war. Genocide, chemical weapons, civilian casualties - heck the west have their fair share of immoral actions so maybe I don't fully agree with you. But they should have basic rules.

As for Travian, spiking farms is worse than defending a newly chiefed village imo. With the former, you can't always see whose troops you're killing and thus could be killing your own (if in an alliance). The latter means you have an RP to view incomings. I've defended a chiefed village many-a-time but never spiked... I would consider putting my hero in a different quad if it wasn't for the stupidly long adventure times.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCodfather View Post
    If a single-village player messages (diplomatically/respectfully) an attacker/raider, then that should bring a halt (even if it's only temporary) to hostilities.
    If a single village player wants someone larger to stop raiding them, they should find the cranny, wall and barracks buttons. Having been on both sides, you really can't rely on people 'being nice' unless there's a strategic disadvantage for them. i.e. losing troops to your wall / hero. That said I stopped raiding a guy a couple weeks ago when I killed his 3 settlers and flattened his residence. I felt awful since I could see they were trying to grow. So I guess linking this back to my first paragraph, there are basic moral and ethic grounds in any war, but don't rely on them if you ask me.
    "It’s only when the tide goes out that you see who was swimming naked."

#MakeTravianGreatAgain #MTGA

In my opinion spiking is a prickly subject!
    A proud member of the CF leadership - Boots.

"I don't have my head up my own arse, I actually am amazing" - Darkwing Duck.

Mr Fantastic

Well-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known Member MLGJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bloated Fish View Post
    In my opinion spiking is a prickly subject!
    Definitely a thorny issue
    This post was brought to you by "Mr Fantastic"

Yayyyyy made it on to setbacks ignore list, can give it but not take it
    Let me guess, some kind of funny joke?
    This message is hidden because MLGJ is on your ignore list.

Where is my apology from MLGJ, for his insult on the forums? - URSULA THE MINOR
    In your dreams Sunshine xx

Angelic

A barbed act whatever the case.
    ukx4, ukx7, ukx8 & ukx10 - wgn, wgn, wgn & wgn , ukx11 - emily , ukx12 - Milkyway , ukx13 - Smelly Romans , ukx14 - Ayra & illii
    s1,7 - Raving Cabbage

people have made some good "points" though...

http://travian-reports.net/us/report/410138d0bd3

Of course ..., this can happen, causing loss of resource production during regeneration period.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast