Thread: :o travian making some good moves

Default :o travian making some good moves

Because with the upcoming update it looks like travian is making some good moves with T4 (improving the game without changing it) I think it's time to provide some more. Here's my 4 step plan to getting more players in the game:

1. continue improvements to the GUI for modernisation without changing the game. Streamlining and removing the clunkiness of the game is key here.

2. mobile and tablet app - really important

3. advertise! Need something to compete with the Arnold schwatrzeneggar and that Nordic woman wargame apps. Need to complete 1 and 2 first otherwise people will look in and go "meh"

4. Improved tools for alliance management. The alliance forum is good, suggest expanding to have an alliance wiki as well. An alliance chat would be great but this is hard to develop (see kingdoms) so suggest partnering with e.g. skype to integrate the feature without having to worry about bugs.
    UK5,1 Annoying Gaul/CDT, UK5,2 Colt Seavers/Geoffles, Au1,3 Stringfellow/AoW, Au4,2 Spirit/KGB, TKCom2 Stringfellow/xTools, UK3,8 Spirit/Resurge, UK1,10 Tauriel/Havoc
    #9 crop UK T3 WWK, first in clubbies
    Your game don't scare me, I got hit by this

Gotta' be sneaky... Well-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known Member Jakeyyy's Avatar

^^ He actually makes some valid points.
    When you play the game of travian, you either win or you die.

I concur. I agree with each of the points made.

I don't know how much Trav made from the TV advertising on that uk6 round that had huge sign ups but it's worth looking at targeted google ads. They can start relatively inexpensive and once you can see a solid return coming in, up the reach.

You almost want an app for it that has the GUI removed to an extent and replaced with something mobile friendly. Not just because data is an issue but zooming in to do anything is awkward.
    "Itís only when the tide goes out that you see who was swimming naked."

#MakeTravianGreatAgain #MTGA

Community Manager UK/US CM mhudson's Avatar

There is an app for Travian:Legends

http://travileapp.com/

This the only Travian:Legends thirdparty approved app created with assistance from TG.

Travian.co.uk Forum Admin & Multihunter
    128-10-93-85-10-128-98-112-6-6-25-126-39-1-68-78

Me rn

It specifies for iPhone but does it work on Galaxy too do you know? I'm having a look on play store now...

Edit: it's only giving me ads for Trivago :|
    Last edited by Hawkery; 29 Dec 2016 at 03:07 PM.

Mrs. Fantastic

Prolific MemberProlific MemberProlific MemberProlific MemberProlific Member Ryder's Avatar

I think the app is quite poor compared to what is out there. It's handy for sending farm lists when out but that's about it.

Maybe I've just got to use to the browser side of it.
    Server 2, Round 4
    Server 3, Round 8
    Server 5, Round 8

Current Server;
    Uk2, Round 10 - IGN;Tendril Man

When you're looking at putting an app together, it's a pretty difficult task to incorporate all the element of Travian in to a streamlined mobile app. You almost need the key features only (like raiding, parties and troop production) and leave stuff like simming to the usual GUI interface.

Gotta' be sneaky... Well-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known Member Jakeyyy's Avatar

Yeah whatever happened to advertising?

Surely they can find some cheap advertising somewhere.
    When you play the game of travian, you either win or you die.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakeyyy View Post
    Yeah whatever happened to advertising?

Surely they can find some cheap advertising somewhere.

I started playing Travian because I saw an ad on some website I visited. Ads do make a difference. A huge one.

Now we just need website ads to find us some quality players

Community Manager UK/US CM mhudson's Avatar

There are already website ads. They are targeted so existing Travian players cant see them (based on cookies).

That being said I have previously spent alot of time working with TG Marketing and have seen how even the best adverts generally do not have a good return of investment (IE click through rate to registration rate).

As with facebook its very easy to get thousands or millions of views by splashing the cash but often very very few of those who like or share are legitimate customers. My last job on Pyramid Raid we did alot of experimentation on social marketing and it is very very difficult to get a good return rate. (alot of mobile app company's write off the marketing budget as a loss before its even spent)

Travian.co.uk Forum Admin & Multihunter
    128-10-93-85-10-128-98-112-6-6-25-126-39-1-68-78

Few websites value gamer traffic, so the cost of serving the ads is pretty high and the RoI pretty low. It was an issue for us on a browser game ten years ago and ended up fairly useless to that game even then. Sad but that's life.

Quote Originally Posted by CM mhudson View Post
    There are already website ads. They are targeted so existing Travian players cant see them (based on cookies).

That being said I have previously spent alot of time working with TG Marketing and have seen how even the best adverts generally do not have a good return of investment (IE click through rate to registration rate).

As with facebook its very easy to get thousands or millions of views by splashing the cash but often very very few of those who like or share are legitimate customers. My last job on Pyramid Raid we did alot of experimentation on social marketing and it is very very difficult to get a good return rate. (alot of mobile app company's write off the marketing budget as a loss before its even spent)
    My post about ads was more a sly joke at Eric but some interesting comments. I imagine newer players may not financially invest in a new game until they're hooked, so the immediate return would be low. I don't think I paid for gold for about 4 months before trying it - a mortgage and a half later...

Sometimes you need to spend money and try things to realise it's not the market you want to be in / not the customer you want to appeal to. Hopefully TG are still inquisitive!

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkery View Post
    My post about ads was more a sly joke at Eric but some interesting comments. I imagine newer players may not financially invest in a new game until they're hooked, so the immediate return would be low. I don't think I paid for gold for about 4 months before trying it - a mortgage and a half later...

Sometimes you need to spend money and try things to realise it's not the market you want to be in / not the customer you want to appeal to. Hopefully TG are still inquisitive!
    Gimme your IGN on Uk2 Hawk ... Ill remember you and give you a little surprise when end game is upon us

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rasputin View Post
    Gimme your IGN on Uk2 Hawk ... Ill remember you and give you a little surprise when end game is upon us
    IGN is Tendril Man, looking forward to your visit already!

Senior Teuton MemberSenior Teuton MemberSenior Teuton Member Elisa's Avatar

Aha, now that I know, I'm going to attack you. You chiefed one of my farms. Prepare to die, Tendril Man!

Wait, whaa? I thought I was Tendril Man? Or is it Ragdoll? One of them, I think...
    S1 - Chronos http://travian-reports.net/us/report/4025038ccb4
    IRL - Leonardo DiCaprio

I thought the one and only Ryder was Tendril Man?, might be missing the plot here having come in late. hahahahaha
    At the end of every black hole is a man with torch

Quote Originally Posted by Eurypedes View Post
    I thought the one and only Ryder was Tendril Man?, might be missing the plot here having come in late. hahahahaha
    Just trying to get Ryder lynched a second time