Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Travian 4.2

Mr Fantastic

Well-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known Member MLGJ's Avatar

Default Travian 4.2

T4: Did you like how the old Travian looked like?

No

T4.2:Then you will like the new Travian even more!

I won't

Again I'm surprised, I thought there were other reasons T4 was dying on it's ass on UK domains, turns out it's all down to the graphics, rejoice all Travian HQ are finally listening!!!!
    This post was brought to you by "Mr Fantastic"

Yayyyyy made it on to setbacks ignore list, can give it but not take it
    Let me guess, some kind of funny joke?
    This message is hidden because MLGJ is on your ignore list.

Where is my apology from MLGJ, for his insult on the forums? - URSULA THE MINOR
    In your dreams Sunshine xx

Cloud Strife

I actually like the new village overview - lots of useful information. My main concern with it is that it will take even longer to load. I already can't send more than 1 wave per second on T4.0 (with all the fancy tricks).

Overall, not really any change in gameplay.

I think its a huge step in the right direction

Banned Banned Banned

Quote Originally Posted by septimus ii View Post
    I actually like the new village overview - lots of useful information. My main concern with it is that it will take even longer to load.
    This is Trav's target audience, Matt. Stuff the gameplay, it sure looks perty.
    I already can't send more than 1 wave per second on T4.0 (with all the fancy tricks).
    Really? Everyone else moans about not being able to send more than 4 per second. Which fancy tricks have you actually tried Septimus?
    Overall, not really any change in gameplay.
    Overall, a further concentration on all of those things the old lags don't give a monkey's about; 'A whole new world awaits, full of more of that stuff you don't like, less of that stuff you do. We are listening, and we are ignoring everything you say.'
    Last edited by MOD Sam; 16 Mar 2013 at 11:42 PM.

Cloud Strife

Quote Originally Posted by Moog View Post
    Really? Everyone else moans about not being able to send more than 4 per second. Which fancy tricks have you actually tried Septimus?
    The the FF offline thing for a start, then someone recommended using K-meleon and messing around with the settings to make it more responsive. I've tried various anti-lag waves, but they don't seem to make a difference.

I've asked around, and got mixed responses. Some people can still send 4 waves per sec easily enough. Others have had all sorts of strange problems, like FF sending a cat wave several seconds before the other waves (including the clearer). Most had no problems with T3.6 graphics.

Yup Moog, spot on. Where's my waves, I can't attack effectively anymore. You'd think they could build the concept of waves in rather than rely on internet/server performance.

All the same second stuff & splits made it a lot of fun.
    The possibility of major attacks on certain players with heavy faking to conceal the real target also made it fun.

Where's my fun going?

I agree with the waves concerns up to a point...4-5 same attack waves seem sensible to me: with T3.6 I had a friend that could launch 15-20 same-sec attacks (which means that he could zero a villa/cap with no risk). Always thought that was a bit over the top...

As for fakes, I actually think that T4 has made things much more fun. Mass faking was never particularly interesting, it usually ended up in massive wastes of troops by most alliance members and was at most annoying for the defender (I know what I'm saying, found myself often enough with 5-20 villas, each with 20-100 incomings). New rally point gives a new dimension to faking, which forces to think about them and use them smartly rather than relying on the fact that the defender does not have enough time to check all attacks

Quote Originally Posted by Graculus View Post
    Yup Moog, spot on. Where's my waves, I can't attack effectively anymore. You'd think they could build the concept of waves in rather than rely on internet/server performance.

All the same second stuff & splits made it a lot of fun.
    The possibility of major attacks on certain players with heavy faking to conceal the real target also made it fun.

Where's my fun going?
    True, they seem to be making it harder to attack other players (limiting waves and making fakes so expensive) whilst making the game more reliant on gold if you want to succeed.

I guess they want more players to stay the course for longer, more money that way!!
    "Am fear nach gheidh na h-airm 'nam na sith, Cha bhi iad aige 'n am a chogaidh!!"

UK3 Losgannon
    UK5 Loki

If you know what you're doing you can analyse fakes & have a high percentage chance of spotting the real attack(s). Making the number of fakes fewer makes that task even easier.
    4-5 waves isn't enough, 6-8 maybe, the idea is to wreck a village, if they can't be pasted then there is little point to stategic attacks, which can require a lot of planning.
    With so few waves how can you take a major hammer village based in a capital out of the game unless a lot of players attack, then the attack can be predicted and defended too easily.

unless a lot of players attack, then the attack can be predicted and defended too easily.
    From memory, I think the logic was to encourage more team-based play i.e. a single player can't get 20 waves hitting on the same second, but a group of 5 players can.

Mr Fantastic

Well-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known Member MLGJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha78 View Post
    From memory, I think the logic was to encourage more team-based play i.e. a single player can't get 20 waves hitting on the same second, but a group of 5 players can.
    From my memory the logic was to stop people attacking other players and making them leave before their wallet was empty.

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha78 View Post
    That would be SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO obvious & exceptionally hard to achieve. Its a tactic doomed to fail on a wall.

they call me superman
    i'm here to rescue you

That would be SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO obvious & exceptionally hard to achieve. Its a tactic doomed to fail on a wall.
    While possible, and not exceptionally hard, people tend not to same second zero as we used to do before. There are a few better alternatives to get rid of cities than a super-obvious same-second chiefing from many people

MLGJ: Remember that Travian saw record new player dro outs around then, some domains got halved in size. Making it easier to defend is something that really should be brought out more from the developers. Experienced players will always adapt, and we need new ones. Not much fun or glory to win servers with less than 500 players, even though game play for you personally is a bit better/convenient. And most changes they do is for better profit yes, but having more players is positive for both.
    Last edited by Andi; 17 Mar 2013 at 01:16 PM.
    GTB - Eeyore, Arwen&Elrond, Rotta The Hutt | City something - Eddard Stark| UV - New Deli, Bane| - All on ukx.

Well-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known Member MartinJames's Avatar

Hmm, Maybe we could try..... I mean, I don't want to cause any arguments or anything............ and i mean, yeah its a crazy idea......... but maybe..... just maybe.. We could try playing it and then moaning about it? :p
    Mr Grumpy 2013
    Ex Player
    Ex Crew - even though my badge got taken, funnily enough for the same reason I got my forum award :x
    And now occasional commenter! - Mostly to defend my title as Mr Grumpy. I still hate you all <3

Banned Banned Banned

The problem I have with the changes is that every time they come in, they appear to be attempting to level the playing field. Not a problem unless the way it's done is by limiting the effectiveness of good players. Since many people can't do waves properly, the effectiveness of multiple waves is reduced; chiefing too upsetting for the noobs? Introduce tablets. Raiding too effectively for your neighbours to keep up? We'll limit the size of your raid lists, so all can have prizes. The only way in which ability is not handicapped with every change, is your ability to break out your debit card and buy some advantage. That won't attract new members. I didn't buy gold until my third server, only after I'd got the hang of the game. If I'd gotten mullered by an overpowered hero, whos owner was prepared to chuck stupid money at him, I might not have hung around long enough to learn.
    Last edited by Moog; 18 Mar 2013 at 12:07 PM.

To be perfectly honest I have NOT noticed T4 being more expensive than T3.6 or T3.5, quite the opposite actually...Plus, the opportunity to sell items found on adventures and get gold in exchange has been pretty useful for a number of players I know who are not (and have never been) gold users...

Sure, one has the *opportunity* to waste loads of money, but that hardly makes much difference (and yes, I have started T4 servers -pretty well too- and even if I found the occasional zoo or overpowered hero it never made much difference)...

So I guess I would agree with MartinJames here...why don't we try playing before moaning?

Mr Fantastic

Quote Originally Posted by MOD *luna* View Post
    To be perfectly honest I have NOT noticed T4 being more expensive than T3.6 or T3.5, quite the opposite actually...Plus, the opportunity to sell items found on adventures and get gold in exchange has been pretty useful for a number of players I know who are not (and have never been) gold users...

Sure, one has the *opportunity* to waste loads of money, but that hardly makes much difference (and yes, I have started T4 servers -pretty well too- and even if I found the occasional zoo or overpowered hero it never made much difference)...

So I guess I would agree with MartinJames here...why don't we try playing before moaning?
    Or why not be really radical and listen to customer feedback before implementing more of the same. You don't think 2 years of having T4 has given people enough of a taste of it yet? Hey everyone it's our fault we don't like T4 we've not played it enough apparently. Like Moog said Travian seems to be going down the "Everyone gets a sticker for talking part in sports day" that my kids seem to be subject to, heaven forbid someone may be able to run faster than someone else, lets break their legs...some one can throw a ball further, lets put a wall there so that the ball can't go very far.

Quote Originally Posted by MLGJ View Post
    Or why not be really radical and listen to customer feedback before implementing more of the same. You don't think 2 years of having T4 has given people enough of a taste of it yet? Hey everyone it's our fault we don't like T4 we've not played it enough apparently. Like Moog said Travian seems to be going down the "Everyone gets a sticker for talking part in sports day" that my kids seem to be subject to, heaven forbid someone may be able to run faster than someone else, lets break their legs...some one can throw a ball further, lets put a wall there so that the ball can't go very far.
    I assumed I was allowed to give customer feedback too...apologies for not having understood that it was a right limited to those who disagreed with T4

Mrs. Fantastic

Well-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known Member Ryder's Avatar

Typical mod, always taking it personally.
    Server 2, Round 4

[00:03:57] Lou says: he is an insect why dont you squish him?

[19:14:14] Sam GJ (s5 H&B) says: What is infraction ?
    [19:14;00] Matt says: it's where mod sam kicks my ass

[21:17:55] meme says: you are almost as annoying as Niall

Honoured Teuton MemberHonoured Teuton MemberHonoured Teuton MemberHonoured Teuton Member PinkFairyKing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ryder View Post
    Typical mod, always taking it personally.
    Typical Ryder, always causing trouble.