Thread: How to remove the big forum banner image

Prolific MemberProlific MemberProlific MemberProlific MemberProlific Member horse's Avatar

Default How to remove the big forum banner image

We could wait for sixty trazybillion years before TGHQ gets rid of the men at the top, so this is how to do it yourself.

First, you'll need FireFoxy, next, the Adblock add-onhttp://adblockplus.org/en/

Install that and restart Firefoxy

Next, load the forum and right-click on the banner (the man or three men etc.) at the top

select from the context menu, "Adblock Plus: Block Image"

The filter rule will then pop up

Select "Custom" and replace the numbers indicated by the red arrows by asterisks.This will block all the header graphics on all the Travian Forums.

Click F5 to refresh the page and the forum header will look like this:

The man at the top has been burnt with fire \o/Yay

Just for reference, these are the headers it will also currently block, including the hidden one.

Credit & Thanks: RedShield (travian.com forum)
    Last edited by Samantha78; 17 Jul 2011 at 11:48 PM. Reason: moved and tidy for guide status

Spammer-in-chief Prolific Gaul MemberProlific Gaul MemberProlific Gaul MemberProlific Gaul MemberProlific Gaul Member Mouse-Keyboard's Avatar

/Win .
    Last edited by Mouse-Keyboard; 17 Jul 2011 at 05:47 PM.
    Join WvV Round 17:  Students versus Teachers!
    Read the colour of the words (not the words). Blue Red Orange Green Black Red Red Gray Purple Blue
    Count! - Steal a hill! - Do stuff! - Eat!

Pantsalot

Lol naughtay' Horsey not giving credit to .com's REDSHIELD for telling you this |:p

Quote Originally Posted by REDSHEILD View Post
    The ad-blocker I use, called Adblock Plus, can block distinct images with but a right-click. It's a free Firefox ad-on compatible with at least back to v3.0.

Before/during:

After:

Quote Originally Posted by horsey View Post
    Oh wow, that's ace

Thank you
    I really should give up skulking old members for a hobby.. >.-
    Last edited by Samantha78; 17 Jul 2011 at 11:58 PM. Reason: tidied for guide status

Prolific MemberProlific MemberProlific MemberProlific MemberProlific Member horse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pantsalot View Post
    Lol naughtay' Horsey not giving credit to .com's REDSHIELD for telling you this |:p
    Yes, true, Red did just tell me this on .com about five minutes ago, and truthfully I normally give people credit for stuff (even down to referencing which youtube video I got an idea from). But at the time of writing I couldn't remember his name and was rushing to get ready.

Although given that I'm probably the only person I've seen to ever post the origin of cartoons and whatnot, I won't lose too much sleep. I did thank Red for the info at the time and I haven't claimed this was my idea anyway I did come up with the filter to do this for all headers and for all forums though.

Umm, somewhat odd for you to go to all this trouble to point this out...
    Last edited by Samantha78; 17 Jul 2011 at 11:50 PM.

I can use the forum again without being stared at by the teuton

Many thanks
    You found me!

Nemo iudex in causa sua

Pantsalot

I must agree with Horsey in this case, she's just ridiculing
    a fictional portrait not an individual :p

Odd that RED would do that too ^^
    The main reason at this point for the frowning at not giving
    credit is that this is quite local mostly, plus it was quite well then by him
    being the only known person so far to have done so :P

& yeah I've just had a lot of time on my hands, don't care to post elsewhere in .uk really :p

Also.. yeah.. we should probably stop with the idle chatter here XD

With many thanks to horse for her consent (especially as I know how much she dislikes the 'Last edited by...' appearing, this thread has been moved to the Guides section - not least for those who either don't like the banner, find it too big on small devices like phones or tablets, or who want to *ahem* read the forum while at work without it being too much of a giveaway that is relates to a computer game

The above guide is for Firefox; a similar extension can be found and works for safari http://safariadblock.com/ ; years ago when I used opera the ability to block specific images was built in - and I would imagine is still part of the functionality.

Given it is now one of the Guides, I'd be most grateful if the idle chatter went elsewhere :p

ElementalGoDz

I dislike Firefox, so I download Add-Block for chrome. However one thing.

There is a big gap between the bar where it says:-

Welcome, ElementalGoDz | Notifications | My Profile | Settings | Log Out|

and.

Forum | What's New? | T3 Answers | T4 Answers

Can I fix this?

...ladies
    Well-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known Member laughing ram's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha78 View Post
    http://forum.travian.co.uk/showthrea...m-banner-image :angel:

can you add a post about style bot to the link above please
    Sure thing Sam.

So I brought this up when the forum changed, but nonetheless:

There is another method to get rid of the smarmy looking git and his bros.
    The Stylebot add-on to Chrome. (There is presumably similar CSS editors on other browsers)

This has the advantage over the adblock method of giving you the ability to change colours, borders size, etc.
    Resulting in the far prettier:
    *Clicky*
    That's right folks, no more hideous, hideous, hideous shades of green.

The add-on is very easy to use:
    Click the 'CSS' text in your URL bar,
    Select areas you want to change,
    Make the change in the appropriate box,
    To select an different area, toggle the Select Element button to on,
    And Voilà, a far pretty forum, unique to you.

-----
    Member of WGN ^_^ (but i only help newbs, rarely n00bs)
    -----
    I Have a BAN PLACEMENT CARD, Hooray!!!

Angelic

I've got rid of the back ground picture too but there is the small bit at the top half of that background that I can't seem to get rid off. Great method though ram, thanks.
    ukx4, ukx7, ukx8 & ukx10 - wgn, wgn, wgn & wgn , ukx11 - emily , ukx12 - Milkyway , ukx13 - Smelly Romans , ukx14 - Ayra & illii
    s1,7 - Raving Cabbage

...ladies
    Well-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known Member laughing ram's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wgn View Post
    I've got rid of the back ground picture too but there is the small bit at the top half of that background that I can't seem to get rid off. Great method though ram, thanks.
    No problem.

One advantage I didn't think of is in my post is that you can import/export you Styles (Right click the CSS and go to 'Back up and Sync):

{"forum.travian.co.uk":{"_enabled":true,"_rules":{"img.logo-image2":{"display":"none"},"ul.navtabs.floatcontainer.notify":{"background-color":"#000000"},"a.navtab":{"background-color":"#000000"},"div.floatcontainer.footer":{"background-color":"#34800e"},"div.posthead":{"background-color":"#34800e","border-color":"#34800e"},"a.username.offline.popupctrl strong":{"color":"#216b12"},"a.username.online.popupctrl strong":{"color":"#216b12"},"a.postuseravatar img":{"border-style":"solid","border-color":"#000000","border-width":"0.5px"},"h2.title.icon":{"border-style":"none"},"a.newcontent_textcontrol":{"background-color":"#34800e"},"span.threadtitle a":{"color":"#34800e"},"h2.blockhead":{"background-color":"#34800e"},"h3.blockhead":{"background-color":"#34800e"},"div.blockhead.collapse":{"background-color":"#34800e"},"h4.blockhead":{"background-color":"#34800e"},"div.bbcode_quote":{},"div.bbcode_quote_container":{},"#vbulletin_html":{"display" :"all"},"html body":{"display":"all"}}}}

^ So if anyone wants to try out mine/don't want to create their own, that should work.

Obviously, if you're working on one make sure you've got your one saved in a notepad before using trying mine.

-----
    Member of WGN ^_^ (but i only help newbs, rarely n00bs)
    -----
    I Have a BAN PLACEMENT CARD, Hooray!!!

Tinkerballa

My fav css manager is https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...fgmeleoegfcffe for chrome The FF eqv can be found on their website.