Thread: Game Rule clarifications & FAQ

Team Lead Customer Service Travian Head Office

Default Game Rule clarifications & FAQ

Game Rule Clarifications & FAQ,
    and comments on the recent changes

This thread is designed to be read in conjunction with both the Rules and the Terms & Conditions. It is not a replacement for either, and in cases of disagreements between them, this thread will never take precedence.

It is designed to provide simple answers to some of the most common questions surrounding the rules and basic account administration, not game strategy or "how to play". For the latter categories, please check out the fabulous Academy forum area.

If you have a suggestion of a Q&A you think should be in this thread, or you think something needs a better explanation, then please send Chrisvc a PM.

If you still have a question about the Rules that isn't answered here, then you can either post in the Questions forum section, PM a MH or Supporter here on the forum, send an IGM to either "Support" or "Multihunter" or join us on IRC... there are plenty of ways to ask your question and we are happy to help!

Contents:

1> Passwords, Account Ownership & Dualling
    2> Shared Computer Usage
    3> Bans, Multihunters and Punishments
    4> Attacking & Conquering
    5> Sitting
    6> Resource Transfers
    7> Accounts - Deletions, Name Changes, Transfers etc
    8> In-game communication and Netiquette

Passwords, Account Ownership & Dualling

I got an IGM asking for my password from someone who said they were Crew. What should I do?
    If you ever get an IGM asking for your password, report it immediately to the MH. Do not answer it. No-one is permitted to know your password, not even the MH or Admin, and certainly not other players on the server.

What is a dual account?
    A dual account is an account shared by two or more players. One is the account owner, and the account is registered to his or her email, the others are given the password to allow them to play it with full access.

Are dual accounts allowed?
    Dualling (sharing an account) is permitted, as long as none of the duals have access to any other accounts on that specific server.

I have one account, but I want to move to another existing account. What should I do?
    If you want to switch the account you dual on, you have to have all access to your current account removed before you get given the password to the new account. If you are the owner of the account you are leaving, you need to officially hand over ownership via the email transfer method. If you are a dual, the password must be changed. Not doing so will be considered multi-accounting and punished accordingly.

I have one account, but I want to give it up and make a new one. What should I do?
    If you want to make your existing account vanish, and start a new account, you have to wait until your current account is fully deleted before re-registering. Starting a new account while the other account exists will be considered multi-accounting and punished accordingly.
    If you want to give away your existing account, and start a new account, you have to transfer the ownership of the account via the official "change email" option, and ensure the password is also changed, before registering your new account. Starting a new account while the other account is still in your name will be considered multi-accounting and punished accordingly.

I've been dualling on an account. The owner changed the password and now won't talk to me. What should I do?
    The account owner can remove any duals at any times as they wish and Travian Games cannot help you regain access to a dual account if the owner removes you. If planning a dual account, remember this.

My sitter sent rude messages to some people/sent himself loads of resources/attacked my other sitter and I've been banned. What should I do?
    The account owner is the ultimate person responsible for the account's actions. Even if an action was taken by a sitter or dual, the account will still be punished; who took the action is not considered appropriate mitigation. Send a message to the MH clearly explaining what has happened, but be prepared to be punished.

Someone's guessed my password and logged in and trashed my account. What should I do?
    You have a responsibility to pick a secure password. If you don't, Travian is not responsible for what happens. We recommend a random combination of numbers, letters (both cases) and symbols, over 8 characters long.

Shared Computer Usage

What is Shared Computer Usage (SCU)?
    Shared Computer Usage is now automatically detected so you no longer have to enter it manually. If you have used the same PC as someone else recently you will be bound under limitations of CT3 which are described in this post.

What is Connection Type 3 (CT3)?
    Connection Type 3 is the connection type used to describe players who have played on the same PC recently, or are currently connected via sitter where there are no logins from the account owner recently on the account being sat. It carries limitations with it which can be seen here.

I share my computer with five people - it's a shared house at uni. Is this OK?
    Unlike sitting, you can have more than two people sharing a computer.

I share a computer with my brother. Does this mean I can log onto his account?
    If you share a computer, and want to access the other person's account, you still have to be their sitter; SCU is not a way to access their account. Players caught doing this will be punished as it is against the rules.

I use the main computer and my wife uses her laptop, but they go through the same router to connect to the internet - do we need to register SCU?
    SCU means exactly that - same computer. Same network connection doesn't count and doesn't need registering, although it may mean you are investigated/queried by a MH if they notice matching IP addresses. This is part of them doing their job to try to identify real cheats so if you are asked for info please do your best to co-operate. You will also be bound under limitations of CT2 which are described in this post.

I want to send resources to my brother who shares my computer - is this allowed?
    You will be able to send as many as the limitations for CT3 shown here allow you to.

I share a computer with my brother and he's really annoyed me - am I allowed to attack him?
    While you are connected via CT3 you may attack each other but the amount you will be able to raid off the other player will be limited as described here.

Bans, Multihunters and Punishments

What is a Multihunter?
    A Multihunter (MH for short) is a member of Travian Crew who volunteers on the server to help monitor for people breaking the rules. They can ban and punish people who do so. They can also answer questions about the rules.

How do I find the MH?
    All Multihunters have an in-game account with a single village. You can send them an IGM to the name "Multihunter".

I've been banned, what should I do?
    Please contact the Multihunter on your server, giving them as many information as you can about why you think you were banned. The MH's will explain to you the violation and a possible punishment as consequence of the rule break. MH's may only be contacted via IGM and cannot discuss banned accounts on the forum, via skype or the IRC.

I sent the MH a message and haven't heard back yet - what do I do?
    Please be patient. MHs are all volunteers and have a real life too - work or college or whatever. They aim to answer all messages within 24 hours. Sending 20 messages an hour about your issue doesn't speed that up! If it's been 24 hours and you haven't had a reply, you can send another message, or contact the Admin at admin@travian.co.uk.

I disagree with the punishment the MH wants to give/I don't think I should be banned. What can I do?
    You can discuss it calmly with the MH involved. If you can't resolve the issue, you can contact the Admin via emailing admin@travian.co.uk.

How many Multihunters are there on a server?
    The number of Multihunters per server may vary, depending on the number of players. In any case, there will be at least one MH on the server you play on.

What kind of punishments can there be for breaking the rules?
    Punishments available include, but are not limited to:
    ~ full deletion or partial deletion of building levels and resource field levels
    ~ deletion of villages,
    ~ emptying of warehouses/granaries,
    ~ deletion of troops,
    ~ deletion of the account

I broke the rules by doing XYZ - what punishment will I get?
    This is impossible to answer because every single case is treated individually. A good guideline is that a punishment will always be greater than any benefit you might have gained from breaking the rules.

I was banned for three days. It's all sorted now, but what about my plus account and the gold that got wasted?
    No player has the right to claim payment or replacement for Plus/Gold time lost due to suspension.

I am a heavy gold user - surely my messages should get read quicker, right?
    There is no special treatment for Travian Plus/Gold users regarding the game rules neither in the time needed to deal with the case or in the punishment you will get for breaking the rules.

Attacking & Conquering

What is Friendly Fire?
    Friendly Fire (FF for short) is the act of attacking someone who is in the same alliance or an alliance allied to you through an official CP. This is no longer illegal and if the attack contains chiefs then the conquer will fail. Resources you can take are limited depening on your Connection Type with the friendly player, They can all be seen here.

What's a CP?
    A CP is an official link between two alliances known as a "Confederation Pact". Only CPs actually built-in in game count, and they count regardless of if they are publically displayed on alliance profiles or not.

Is attacking oases limited under FF attacks?
    Oases can be conquered by friendly players but the amount that can be raided from them is limited by the same restrictions as villages.

Can I attack an SCU account or someone I sit for/am sat by?
    You may attack your current sitter/someone you sit or someone currently using your computer. This will however mean you have a CT2 or 3 connection and will be more limited in what you can raid, to see how much each CT can raid look here.

Can I attack someone in my own alliance?
    You may now attack someone in your own alliance however as with previous examples depending on your Connection Type you will be limited in the amount you can take.

Can I attack someone in an alliance my alliance has a CP with?
    You may attack anyone in a CPed alliance although again you will be limited in the amount you can raid which will depend on your connection type with the player.

Can I conquer an SCU account or someone I sit for/am sat by?
    You may not conquer your current sitter/someone you sit or someone currently using your computer. Once someone stops being your sitter/someone you sit, or using your computer, you must wait two weeks before conquering.

Can I conquer someone in my own alliance/an alliance I am CPed to?
    You may not conquer anyone in your own alliance or an alliance CPed to you at any time. Once either you or your target leave your alliance/an alliance CPed to you, you must wait two days before conquering.

Does the game actually stop me conquering people the rules say I can't?
    Yes. If the game prevents you conquering someone it would have been an illegal conquer. If you believe the system has allowed a conquer that should have been illegal you can report it to the MH.

Does the term "CP" also apply to NAPs?
    No, there are no restrictions on attacking or conquering NAPs unless they happen to be sitters or share your computer.

What about artefacts and building plans? Can we swap them between people?
    Yes, the artefact village and artefact should always be conquerable.

I've seen some people send lots of attacks all landing at once. Is this allowed?
    Use of standard browser features to send multiple same second attacks is legal.

Can I attack myself? It's quicker than sending merchants!
    You can attack your own account as much as you like - e.g. to transfer resources, or to remove unwanted buildings.

My mate told me about this bot that will attack for me - it sounds too good to be true! Are these allowed?
    No. Anyone found using a bot will be heavily punished.

Can I attack the Multihunter?
    Multihunter's accounts are banned right from the start of the game. It is therefore not possible to attack them.

Sitting

What are sitters? How many can I have?
    Sitters are other players on the same gameworld who you grant special access to, to help you look after your account. To add people as sitters, go to Profile>>Account>>Account sitter and enter their in-game name. You can have two sitters at any one time, and you can sit for two people at any one time.

How do I access an account I sit for?

What restrictions do I have as a sitter?
    You can do most things needed to keep an account safe, but not things to push it forward too much. You can only raid, not attack (so no conquering or catapulting). You can't change their profile. You can only spend gold if the account owner has given you permission to do so.

Can I buy gold for my sitter?
    Yes you can, if the account owner has given you permission to do so. However, you may only spend gold on the account if the permission for that was also granted by the account owner.

How often can I change my sitter?
    As often as you like.

I sit for my best friend and I know his password - can I use it? I mean, he's given me access by setting me as sitter, right?
    You may not access another account unless using the sitter function only.

I want to help an account I sit for by giving them resources - is this allowed?
    You can send any amount which the game lets you send, sitters will be CT2 so the amount you can send will be limited by restrictions seen here. If you are allowed to send it then it is a legal amount.

Am I allowed to attack someone I sit? Are they allowed to attack me?
    While you are sitting/sat for you can attack the other person but the amount you can raid will be limited under CT2 or 3 depending on their activity, you can see the amounts you can raid off each here.

I've been sitting someone for ages and I think they might have given up. They haven't logged on in ages... what should I do?
    The sitter function will automatically expire after 21 days without the account owner logging into their account.

My alliance say they are going to kick me unless I add one of the leaders as sitter. Is this allowed?
    It is not permitted to blackmail or threaten players into adding people as sitters, so no, this is not allowed. Alliances may ask for sitter access as part of the recruitment process, though, as it is your choice whether or not to grant it.

Resource Transfers

What is "pushing"? Is it different to trading?
    Pushing is the one-way transfer, or gifting, of resources between accounts. Trading is giving and getting.

Is pushing legal?
    Yes, but there are limits. These limits are now hard coded in and can be viewed here. If you can send it then it is a legal amount to send.

How do I work out how much I can send?
    The amounts listed here are worked out as follows.

- x days in advance means that you can send your allowance for up to that many days in advance in one go. Therefore "can send 2 hours production (7 days in advance)" means that you can send up to 14 hours production in one go, but it would then be your allowance for that 7 days.

- Hours Production
    The sum of production from all villages on clay, wood, iron and Net-Crop (total crop - population)
    Additionally the sum of Net raiding income (raiding income - cost in resources of lost troops) within the last 7 days / (7*24)

Do I have to send it exactly - like, the right amount of wood, the right amount of clay etc?
    No - only the total matters. You can send it all as one resource, or any combination of the four you like. If you made 10,000 of each resource for example you could send 40,000 total resources in one trade whether it is all as one resource or split in any proportion.

Do I have to send it from each village individually?
    No - only the total for your account matters - you can send it all from the same village, or little bits from each, it's totally up to you.

I want to send resources to my brother who shares my computer - is this allowed?
    Yes however you will be more limited in what you can send, the limits can be viewed here.

I want to help an account I sit for by giving them resources - is this allowed?
    You can send any amount which the game lets you send, sitters will be CT2 so the amount you can send will be limited by restrictions seen here. If you are allowed to send it then it is a legal amount.

My friend is under attack and I sent her loads of troops - can I help her feed them?
    Yes, the amount of crop you can send for each Connection Type is listed here.

Can I move resources around between my own villages? Are there limits on this too?
    You can move resources around your own villages as much as you like, as often as you like. No rules govern this. You are permitted to use troops to do this as well if you like.

What about supplying resources to help my alliance with the embassy? Someone told me this was allowed as much as we like.
    Resources to help build an alliance embassy do count towards your pushing limits so you must be careful not to send so much you cannot help them should something else come up.

What about people with WWs, or artefacts or building plans? I heard we can send them resources, is this true?
    World Wonder holders can be supplied unlimited resources of any type to the village that the WW is located.
    Plan Holders and artefact holders can be supplied unlimited crop to the village that the plan or artefact is located.

Accounts - Deletions, Name Changes, Transfers etc

Can I delete my own account? If so, how?
    To delete your account, go to >>Profile >>Account >>Delete Account and enter your password. There is a 72 hour countdown.

I don't want to wait 72 hours though!
    MHs are not permitted to speed up this deletion for you. Please do not ask.

Help! I changed my mind about deleting!
    You can at any time cancel the deletion countdown, by pressing the red x below the timer.

Can I change my account name?
    Name changes will only be done for accounts under 100 population or if the current name is deemed inappropriate. To request a name change, send an IGM to the Multihunter.

Can I give my account away? If so, how?
    To transfer your account to someone else, go to >>Profile >>Account >>change E-Mail. They MUST NOT already have an account on the same server. Enter both email addresses. An automatic email is generated which sends a confirmation code; you will need to enter this code to complete the transfer. Accounts which change hands but are not officially transferred are still deemed the property of the original owner, who can take control at any time - beware if you take over an account and do not transfer it properly.

What happens to my gold if I delete my account?
    Once your account is deleted, an email is sent to the email address the account is registered in, containing a link which will allow you to transfer your gold to any account on any server on the .co.uk domain.

I'm deleting - can I let my friends attack me and give away my resources, since I don't need them?
    All the rules still apply, so your friends will only be allowed to raid up to the limits which will always be in place on your account regardless of deletion status.

In-game Communication and Netiquette

How do I talk to people in-game?
    Travian uses In-Game Messages (IGMs) as a form of communication. Click the icon at the top of the game page that looks like a letter with a quill pen to see how to send these messages.

How do I contact the MH?
    All Multihunters have an in-game account with a single village. You can send them an IGM to the name "Multihunter".

How do I contact the Admin?
    You can email the Admin at admin@travian.co.uk which is the only way. The Admin will not discuss bans on the forum or via PM.

I need some advice; how do I contact Support?
    Unlike MHs, not all Supporters have a dedicated in-game account. Most play a server under their own name, and Support messages get diverted to them. To contact Support send an IGM to the name "Support".

Can I message more than one person at once?
    Yes but this is limited to being able to message your entire alliance at once. This is known as sending an "MM" (Mass Mail). Your alliance leader needs to grant you a special permission to do so. If you have this right you can send one by putting the recipient as "[ally]"

Help - it's not letting me message! It says I sent too many!
    There's an automatic cut off to prevent people creating accounts and spamming adverts or abuse. Just wait a few minutes and then you will be able to message again.

Can I block people from messaging me?
    Unfortunately this isn't possible. If people are spamming you, politely ask them to stop contacting you. If they ignore the request, report them to the Multihunter.

I got a message with loads of abuse in - what do I do?
    Don't reply. Don't give them the satisfaction of seeing it upset you.
    Simply send a URL link to the message to the Multihunter as an IGM - they will take action for you. Travian takes in-game abuse very seriously.
    Please do always report such abuse, even if you personally aren't that upset - remember thet are probably sending it to more than just you, and would you really want an ten year old girl reading/seeing it?

What kind of content is forbidden?
    Swearing, insults, racism, homophobia, unsafe links, rickrolls, unsuitable content for all ages, advertising - that kind of thing. Basically, people should be polite and friendly at all times, and all content should be suitable for all ages.

Does that apply to account profiles too?
    Yes, most certainly. Also alliance forums (hosted in-game only), account and village names, and any other form of communication possible in-game.

I want to try and strike a deal with my farm to send me resources so I don't have to bother attacking. Is this allowed?
    No - it counts as blackmail. You cannot suggest this to them. If they suggest it to you, you can negotiate though.

I'm being attacked and I want to try and strike a deal with my farmer to send them resources or defence troops so they will stop attacking me. Is this allowed?
    You can suggest this to them.

My alliance say they are going to kick me unless I add one of the leaders as sitter. Is this allowed?
    It is not permitted to blackmail or threaten players into adding people as sitters, so no, this is not allowed. Alliances may ask for sitter access as part of the recruitment process, though, as it is your choice whether or not to grant it.

The rules say everything has to be in English - I have a Latin quote on my profile. Do I have to get rid of it?
    Don't worry: When it comes to alliance profiles/player profiles - many players have Latin mottos etc. Of course MHs will take a common sense attitude towards this; I recommend including a translation of the motto as well. Remember these rules haven't been written to "get you" - the intent of this rule is to prevent people posting abuse etc in other languages; the main concern is always the protection of other players at all times.

The rules say everything has to be in English - I am Polish, and my brother is too - do we have to IGM each other in English?
    Honestly, if you are Polish (random example) and have a Polish friend, no one (including the MHs) will care if you IGM each other in Polish. However you can't mesage other non-Polish players in Polish; that wouldn't be fair. You could be sending all manner of abuse and they wouldn't know. Remember these rules haven't been written to "get you" - the intent of this rule is to prevent people posting abuse etc in other languages; the main concern is always the protection of other players at all times.

The rules say "Selling troops, resources, player actions or accounts is not permitted." Does this mean I can't lend someone troops in return for (legal) amounts of resources? Or offer to defend someone to get them to stop attacking me?
    No, absolutely not. This rule refers to transactions of Money or Gold (since that has a real money cost). It's there to stop people selling accounts on e-bay (don't laugh, people have tried) or try to get their farms to buy them Gold to stop attacking them.