Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quid vs. Pound vs. Pence

Default Quid vs. Pound vs. Pence

I can't seem to figure this out so thought I'd just ask here:

What is the difference between Quid and Pound when talking about currency? They both seem to mean the same thing. I read a wiki article on it but now I'm more confused.
    If something costs 1.23 how is that stated in words? "1 quid and 23 pence"?

the quid and the pound are the same thing, the quid is a slang term for pound
    and theres 100pence in a pound and a quid

p.s. How old are you?

prince charming

Quote Originally Posted by VictoriusSecret View Post
    Usually it would just be said as 1 pound 23.

Pound would be better to use than quid.

Quote Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
    p.s. How old are you?
    Better question would have been what nationality are you.

...ladies
    Well-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known Member laughing ram's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VictoriusSecret View Post
    either, "a quid twenty three" or "one pound twenty three" or "one pound and twenty three p" or "one pound twenty three pence"

'Quid' is usually used more in the slangy sence of, 'can ya lend me a couple quid, mate?'

-----
    Member of WGN ^_^ (but i only help newbs, rarely n00bs)
    -----
    I Have a BAN PLACEMENT CARD, Hooray!!!

Thanks I appreciate the responses, it was driving me crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by laughing ram View Post
    either, "a quid twenty three" or "one pound twenty three" or "one pound and twenty three p" or "one pound twenty three pence"

'Quid' is usually used more in the slangy sence of, 'can ya lend me a couple quid, mate?'

Also, adding to this...

If your in a shop... and someone tells you the price, they would also be likley to say just one twenty three.

without actually saying pound.

Or as said above again.. another term....

If somoene asks how much something is... if you give a rough estimate... (something costs 21.50)

you would say About 20 quid.... instead of... about 20 pounds.

And finally... it can be used to describe something which is just 15 or just 4... without having any pence added to it...

so it would be... cost 15 quid.

can't think of any other instances when you would use it

...ladies
    Well-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known Member laughing ram's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by big_fella_andy View Post
    Also, adding to this...
    We should form a 'help out people from places other than england' team/partnership
    We even share the name andy, its a sign i tells ya

-----
    Member of WGN ^_^ (but i only help newbs, rarely n00bs)
    -----
    I Have a BAN PLACEMENT CARD, Hooray!!!

We should form a 'help out people from places other than england' team/partnership
    Haha, lets call this the start then

Quote Originally Posted by big_fella_andy View Post
    Haha, lets call this the start then
    Yes tell us foreigners more! Brits are interesting

Roman MemberRoman Member shaw 89's Avatar

you mean britain....

in my view if anyone asks you for a quid they are ermm i better keep it clean junkies who want a quid for god no's what.. Anyone who asks for a pound needs to get a job... A quid and a pound are the same thing but there are alot of different names what mean money nowadays like cockny slang etc bee's and honey (money), jonny cash (pounds=cash) damion hill (money=bills)... A pound is simple to understand but knowing the different slangs of a pound wlll get you different things nowaways.. (im not talking about shops like most members are right talking about, im talking about street terms) theres more i could say but i dont want to get banned agian so its a clean night..

Quote Originally Posted by shaw 89 View Post
    im talking about street terms

Innit.
    'sup.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilifika View Post
    I'm a musician/Writer/Poet, literally everybody wants to get with this. Y'know what I'm sayin' dog?

you mean britain....

in my view if anyone asks you for a quid they are ermm i better keep it clean junkies who want a quid for god no's what.. Anyone who asks for a pound needs to get a job... A quid and a pound are the same thing but there are alot of different names what mean money nowadays like cockny slang etc bee's and honey (money), jonny cash (pounds=cash) damion hill (money=bills)... A pound is simple to understand but knowing the different slangs of a pound wlll get you different things nowaways.. (im not talking about shops like most members are right talking about, im talking about street terms) theres more i could say but i dont want to get banned agian so its a clean night..
    I think Cockney rhyming slang confuses foreigners even more lol

And i think Quid is used a lot more in Northern England. Not sure about Scotland. People around my area say quid a lot. Or we say 'pound' without an s on the end, but still use it as plural.

A little further north from where i live, they take the 'o' out aswell, and they end up saying just 'pund'

I'm assuming in the north pole, its just pnd, or d for short.
    Crouching Tiger, ready to pounce...
    Jeremy Clarkson: "If you have all the facts to hand, you will see there are two sides to every argument and that both sides are right. So you can only have an opinion if you do not have all the facts to hand"

Tullia

For some reason I hear people using "squid" in my area nowadays, in a very casual way, of course. Sort "omg have you seen the new ipod, 200 squid and it's no different from the current one, what a rip-off!". I dont think they actually expect to pay for it in marine cephalopods, but then again, who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Tullia View Post
    For some reason I hear people using "squid" in my area nowadays, in a very casual way, of course. Sort "omg have you seen the new ipod, 200 squid and it's no different from the current one, what a rip-off!". I dont think they actually expect to pay for it in marine cephalopods, but then again, who knows?
    My squid farm is finally worth something
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKitchen View Post
    I like you.

in my view if anyone asks you for a quid they are ermm i better keep it clean junkies who want a quid for god no's what.
    i'v had somone come up to me and say can i have a quid so i can sort my life out, here have two lol! i wish i could sort my life out with a quid!:p
    chuck never sleeps...........he just waits

Dude dont double post, use the multi-quote feature
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKitchen View Post
    I like you.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckNorris View Post
    i've had someone come up to me in the street and ask for a quid to 'sort his life out', here have two!
    I wish i could sort my life out for a quid!lol

i think its a case of a quid from you, then a few others and that sorts thier life for a few hours untill they need thier next fix....

oh i really shouldnt judge should i?.... im sure theres a good reason they became a junkie...

rant over...

Quote Originally Posted by Gouranga View Post
    My squid farm is finally worth something
    If I see tentacles writhing from your jeans prior to a consumer purchase my inherent geeky nature will leap to the worst possible 'impending apocalypse' scenario it can latch onto, I will be nigh helpless as I reach for the nearest sharp, blunt or effectively harmless (But damned comforting!) weapon I can find...

What happens in the next few (hopefully brief) moments of your life will purely be judged on your speed, flexibility and the evil 'world ending' potential of your squid.
    The Four Taulphanic Tomes of Ill-Repute

The Poesy of Rage, The Chronicles of Weeping, The Unreadable Diary of Horse XVI
    and the Sol Invictus Edition of The Lulz That Ended Two Worlds.

Tullia

Quote Originally Posted by Taulphin View Post
    If I see tentacles writhing from your jeans prior to a consumer purchase my inherent geeky nature will leap to the worst possible 'impending apocalypse' scenario it can latch onto, I will be nigh helpless as I reach for the nearest sharp, blunt or effectively harmless (But damned comforting!) weapon I can find...

What happens in the next few (hopefully brief) moments of your life will purely be judged on your speed, flexibility and the evil 'world ending' potential of your squid.
    automatic assumption that tentacles writhing from jeans means evil = not a Merry Gentry fan?

Quote Originally Posted by Tullia View Post
    or squiddles!!! heard that a few times! - more fun, innit!

how bout a 'help out the english living in Scotland' team!!

i've been in aberdeen for 4 years now, and still have no idea what they're on about!