Thread: Guide to starting off on Travian.

Default Guide to starting off on Travian.

Starting off guide!

T3.5 Guide

What is Travian?

Travian is an award-winning German massively multiplayer online browser-based strategy game developed by Travian Games GmbH.

The game's developers drew roughly from Classical antiquity and particularly from the Roman Empire to create a predominantly militaristic real-time strategy. It has been suggested that Travian's creators may have drawn from an earlier award-winning German game, Settlers of Catan, for layout; there are similarities in resource development and theme as well.

Along with three English versions, and the original German version, Travian has been translated into over 40 other languages, and has over 5 million players and over 250 servers worldwide. In 2006, it won the Superbrowsergame Award, in the large games category.

Travian is programmed in PHP and runs in most modern browsers (such as Firefox, Internet Explorer, Opera and Safari). Travian was also the first game of its type to be playable on mobile phones. When played on a mobile phone, it uses Java. [01]

Starting off?

To play Travian all you need is a connectiion to the internet. At the start you learn how to play by doing quests.

When you register you just fill in a form and pick our tribe and quadrant. The choices of tribe are Roman, Gaul and Teuton.

Romans are the best tribe for starting off so I suggest picking them.

Beginners Protection is Protection which prevents the player that has it from being attacked. It lasts for a limited amount of time so many players use it wisely. Building up troops and buildings.

Select to the first quest if you are new! Don't select the other ones.

Now do every one of the quests. Chose whatever choice you want; Military or Economy. Whatever you think you want to do.

Have a look at the alliance pages; But make sure you check out their population, rank and do you think they look like a good alliance. Are they at war with large alliances? Do they look friendly? Is there a large group of them? What quadrant are they in?

Then wait until they accept you. If they don't then try another alliance. I'd just like to say you probally wont get into the top alliances at the start.

Building your army!

Now we're on to troops... But why do you need them? You need an army to defend and attack. Without troops you are virtually useless. Attacking with them can be an easy way to gain resources and can also let you conquer enemy villages.

But you need to remember that troops and buildings use wheat consumption which means it stops you from producing as much wheat as you normally would. They only way to tackle this (unless you have gold and you use +25% Wheat Production) is to upgrade your wheat fields often. You do this the same way that you do your village buildings. But just on the resource map.

Don't think you can just start. You need to ugrade your main building to lv3.

and then

But you need to do more before you can build your barracks. You need a rally point. So just build it once.

then

Then you can build your barracks. Select any circle in your village and then;

Then you need to let it be built. Then click on the barracks;

After this you will probally have a good idea about how to play the game. Now I'd like to suggest that you use this guide if your Teuton.

But if your Roman use this or this

And if your Gaulish then pick out of these three. 1 2 3

Hope this guide helped you learn how to start off on Travian.

[01] Taken from Wikipedia.

Tullia

I'm sorry but this really needs a lot of work'

• crop the images, they stretch the page, show unnecessary rubbish, and don't help the flow when they are so large
    • no using orange

• you are far far too blase in parts "follow all the quests" is not helpful; nor do you mention eco vs military
    • no mention of tribe selection
    • no mention of how to judge an alliance
    • no mention of map quadrants and how to tell where you are
    • they might well already have a barracks by the point you tell them to build one
    • you don't explain BP
    • you don't explain why you need troops
    • you don't mention defence, wheat consumption....

I'm sorry, I know I am shooting this down in flames right now; it's an admirable idea for a guide, but this is far from a guide that would be useful to anyone in its current state and I don't think being less than honest is helpful to you or anyone new reading this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tullia View Post

I'm sorry but this really needs a lot of work'

• crop the images, they stretch the page, show unnecessary rubbish, and don't help the flow when they are so large
    • no using orange

• you are far far too blase in parts "follow all the quests" is not helpful; nor do you mention eco vs military
    • no mention of tribe selection
    • no mention of how to judge an alliance
    • no mention of map quadrants and how to tell where you are
    • they might well already have a barracks by the point you tell them to build one
    • you don't explain BP
    • you don't explain why you need troops
    • you don't mention defence, wheat consumption....

I'm sorry, I know I am shooting this down in flames right now; it's an admirable idea for a guide, but this is far from a guide that would be useful to anyone in its current state and I don't think being less than honest is helpful to you or anyone new reading this.

It's my first try at a guide.

And thanks for being honest.

Channing Tatum<3

Quote Originally Posted by DanielJ97 View Post

I wrote a guide, tbh, the pictures were horrific and it didn't work too well, but feel free to take some of the content.

http://forum.travian.co.uk/showthread.php?t=38339

Tullia

Quote Originally Posted by DanielJ97 View Post

It's a guide that is needed, it really is, but it's a huge subject to tackle for your first one.

I'd suggest a good way to do it would be to start a new server and try really hard to imagine you are a totally new player. As you get going, write down everything you do, and ask yourself how easy/intuitive it was, and what you think a new player would struggle with. It's probably the best way to put yourself in their shoes. Compile the guide as you go along and it will end up being a far far better one. It's very hard to write something like this cold when you are an experienced player, because you do (it's only natural to) forget stuff that is second nature to you, but would confuse a newbie very easily.

You are on the right track with using plenty of images - a picture is worth a thousand words; you just need to make the pics a tad more user friendly

Quote Originally Posted by Tullia View Post
    It's a guide that is needed, it really is, but it's a huge subject to tackle for your first one.

I'd suggest a good way to do it would be to start a new server and try really hard to imagine you are a totally new player. As you get going, write down everything you do, and ask yourself how easy/intuitive it was, and what you think a new player would struggle with. It's probably the best way to put yourself in their shoes. Compile the guide as you go along and it will end up being a far far better one. It's very hard to write something like this cold when you are an experienced player, because you do (it's only natural to) forget stuff that is second nature to you, but would confuse a newbie very easily.

You are on the right track with using plenty of images - a picture is worth a thousand words; you just need to make the pics a tad more user friendly
    Ok.

10 characters...

The guide has been updated after Tullia's suggestions were taken into account.

i agree with tuilla this is a much needed guide, but it needs more work still. you need much more detail i think, if a new player comes alonmg and sees this they will be a little confused by some of the things youve said, but you are getting there, more additions and editing and this will be a very useful guide matey

n.b, remember to crop those piccys though, its very annoying having to scroll across the screen...
    thanks for the siggy SolaceonTownKid!

Click here to get a free rat when you sign up!!! you know you want to....some say im 18, some say im 25, some say im 15, but most say im 20, well i've got news for you, im none of them : p This forum requires that you wait 60 seconds between sending private messages. Please try again in 1 seconds. LOL